Sponge Cake Help...please

Decorating By hellosweetness Updated 17 Jul 2014 , 1:03am by maisie73

hellosweetness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellosweetness Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 14

AHi!!

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe or any tips for using a sponge cake with a cream/ buttercream/ jam filling?? I have always used mud cakes with ganache, covered in fondant. I love working with them and my mud cakes taste fantastic (if I do say so myself). They also last longer than a sponge cake. If the cake is to be ready for Saturday, what would be the best way to go about it? For example with my mud cakes I would bake on a Tuesday night, ganache on a Wednesday night, cover with fondant on Thursday night and decorate on a Friday ready Saturday. (I do it this way because I work during the day). Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

13 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 8:52am
post #2 of 14

lots of great recipes on here in recipe section also advice on freezing cakes. A nice flavored syrup is a lovely way to add moistness and flavor to a sponge cake as well.

Cant think of a cake question not answered on here if you type what you want to know in the search bar. Good luck 

hellosweetness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellosweetness Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 8:22am
post #3 of 14

AThank you :)

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 8:36am
post #4 of 14

AHellosweetnees, I always use Victoria sponge recipe and get amazing comments with my cakes, my buttercream is light and fluffy as I beat the hell out of it for 10mins. I made my cake last Tuesday and they picked it up Wed, she wouldn't cut it, she eventually on Sunday and said it was still moist and gorgeous. I know Madeira cake has a longer shelf life.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 9:43am
post #5 of 14

AI always use Victoria Sponge with jam and buttercream. I'm quite new to decorating but I've been baking for years and my sponge is lovely, keeps for days. I like to make and decorate the cake the day before it's needed but if I'm busy or attempting something new that might go wrong I make the cake 2 days before. I'm making a first birthday cake for this Thursday but it's a two tiered cake and I've only done one before, I know from that one I need to make each layer taller so I plan to bake and crumb coat it tomorrow then stack and decorate it Wednesday. I've never made a sponge more than two days in advance but I know some people do. Sponge will keep for a week in an airtight container, buttercream and icing will keep it fresher than nothing but not as long as an airtight container. Hope that helps.

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:04am
post #6 of 14

Hi I am using a victoria sponge cake recipe scaled up to 9" square tin (3" deep) and filled to 3/4 full can anyone suggest cooking temp and for how long ? x

maisie73 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 14

AHi Jo, I'd probably ask on the Uk thread if I were you. Drop down to 140 maybe, no idea how long though. Someone on the UK thread will know I'm sure. :-)

Jo Field Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 14

AOh ok thanks, it took me a week to realise how to even post in here I had no idea I'd done it to the US only ?!! X

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 14

Jo Field, you did do your request appropriately.  Everyone can read everything. There are some threads that people in different locations on the globe join in and post onto, as they discuss their regional recipes, brand names, shopping places, etc.   

Jo Field Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 14

AOk maybe I will try to start a new thread and hope someone replies ;-)

MBalaska Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 14

Join in here and you'll probably get your answers very quickly...................

http://cakecentral.com/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/5475#post_7508966

and please post and read .......anywhere, about everything, at any time you wish...  join in and enjoy  :D

maisie73 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 14

ASorry jo, didn't mean to mislead you! Thanks MBalaska, I owe you a welshcake!

MBalaska Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 12:48am
post #13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

I always use Victoria Sponge with jam and buttercream.

Maise73 Is it crazy that I've eaten part of the Victoria Sponge without adding anything????:roll:

I had imagined that it would be like an American Pound Cake. It is more like the sponge cake that we use for strawberry short cake. The 'Hostess' brand ones that the grocery store sells.

The cake was very mild in vanilla flavor, with a soft tight grain, spongy, slightly drier than my usual cakes.  I added a dose of simple syrup to give it a bit more moisture.  But with strawberry jam, the strawberry flavor really popped.  I think I'll try it again and put a lemon custard filling in there.

maisie73 Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 1:03am
post #14 of 14

ANot crazy at all MB! Glad you're enjoying it! Lemon is delicious with it, lemon buttercream, lemon curd or even flavouring the sponge lemon. It will dry out quite quickly if you're not careful mind. An airtight container is best and it freezes really well (just don't put it in with the salmon!) I made cupcakes with the weighing the eggs method for my daughters teachers tomorrow- with lemon buttercream actually, they're yummy! I'm off to bed now (it's 2am here), only just finished cleaning the kitchen. Enjoy your sponge, G'nite. :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%