Cake Lace Or Sugarveil?

Decorating By CakeandDreams Updated 29 Mar 2017 , 5:41pm by condesafeliz

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 6:17pm
post #31 of 42

AOh yeah, definitely spamming, dragging up every thread you can find to insert your advertisement.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 6 May 2014 , 2:55pm
post #32 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanneW 

I have only used sugarveil, but looked into the candy lace product. Their website says that it doesn't go yellow like sugarveil does and that it stays pliable.

Depending on what you are doing you might want it to stay pliable, or you might want it to harden like sugarveil does. Other than that, the only difference would be the price. I looked very quickly, so you may find better/different prices, but I found the candy lace to be about 40% to 100% more expensive. I believe it is from South Africa, which could be why it costs more after its imported to the USA.

Hi Leanne -  

If you've mixed but not used SugarVeil for several hours, since it's naturally white, without added colorants, you just need to rebeat it to restore the natural white-white color. Here's a photo that shows SugarVeil after several hours, before rebeating (on the left), and after rebeating for a minute on the right:

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 6 May 2014 , 2:59pm
post #33 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeandDreams 

Has anyone compared both products?  I love the effect they have and wanted to invest in a started kit but not sure which way to go.  Any tips gratefully received and can anyone tell me which if either of these products can be coloured.

Thanks for your help!

Hi CakesandDreams - you can color SugarVeil with any type of color - powder, liquid, or gel. For black, red, or other intense colors, use powdered color mixed into the dry SugarVeil powder before adding water.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 6 May 2014 , 3:44pm
post #34 of 42

Hi Cake & Dreams,

I recently tried Cake Lace. I'm experimenting with lace for my daughters wedding cake in October. I had NO CLUE what I was doing but it was very easy to use and came out great.

Hope this helps:).

mzteaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzteaze Posted 9 May 2014 , 4:23am
post #35 of 42

Which product has the best starter kit? 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 May 2014 , 4:16pm
post #36 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilyg 

Hi Leanne -  

If you've mixed but not used SugarVeil for several hours, since it's naturally white, without added colorants, you just need to rebeat it to restore the natural white-white color. Here's a photo that shows SugarVeil after several hours, before rebeating (on the left), and after rebeating for a minute on the right:

What a difference!. Thank you for the pic and the info, this is good to know.

idowedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idowedcakes Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 5:22pm
post #37 of 42

In reading the info on CAKE LACE on Claire Bowman's UK website, I noticed that it is 

NOT RECOMMENDED to put the lace over buttercream icing. The fat and moisture in Buttercream 

will make the Cake Lace melt and breakdown.

I have yet to try this product.

I hate that American Companies are marking the price up to double that on Claire Bowman's UK website.

UGH!  Then if you order it from UK, the shipping gets you.  Just have to go with the lesser of the two.

Cake Lace looks like a Great Product; cannot wait to try it.

Atlanta, GA

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 6:57pm
post #38 of 42

AIdowedcakes, I've used it a few times, its fab, easy to use and looks lovely. I've even dusted it with petal dust.

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 8:30pm
post #39 of 42

I know this forum is old but if anyone out there is still looking Cake Lace is being sold In the US at Easy Sugar Lace and also on Amazon and it comes is a couple colors.  Can't wait to try it.

https://easysugarlace.com/ 

Lyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:04pm
post #40 of 42

Quote by @DeniseNH on 4 Apr 2014 , 1:41pm

Sugar Dress is to die for - but they instruct you - through a youtube video sdone by Alan Tetrault (spelling?) to never refrigerate a cake with Sugar Dress on it.  The moisture all cakes accumulate as it come out of the fridge and hits the warm kitchen air dissolves the paper thin lace pieces - to mush.  Yes you can color it with gel colors but you'll need to keep it in the oven or on the kitchen counter a lot longer to cure.  I just completed a white cake with navy blue lace that I'll post when the flowers are done.

thank you for the heads up about not refrigerating! I would have never thought not to do it.  That is a huge bummer... so, you pretty much have to stick the lace on right before walking out the door with the cake?  I don't like that at all... :(

condesafeliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
condesafeliz Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:39pm
post #41 of 42

thanks a lot for sharing your experience! it was very helpful! and thanks to the others too! 

condesafeliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
condesafeliz Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 5:41pm
post #42 of 42

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences, it has been very helpful for me! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%