Preparing For A Bench Test With The Executive Pastry Chef At Disneyland Resort And Kinda Freaking Out.

Business By TheNerdyBaker Updated 2 Dec 2014 , 11:25pm by TheNerdyBaker

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:34pm
post #61 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNerdyBaker 

Thanks for checking in =D

I am really enjoying it so far. Hours are just now starting to ramp up because of the summer, and a bunch of new exciting things are coming down the pipe line for the bakery (holiday decorative items, special events, the gingerbread house for the Haunted Mansion Holiday!) and I have now been there long enough to finally start branching out from the entry positions and make my way in to the custom cake room or high end table service desserts.

So things are looking up.

Plus on top of all of the Disney madness, I managed to snag a lead decorator position at Sweet Arleens, a 4 time undefeated Cupcake Wars champion. So I'm excited for the future for sure XD

So........Where can I taste some of your yummy bakingness next weekend? :) I'm a passholder, and there almost every weekend or every other weekend. Disney does desserts like no other. :)

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:14am
post #62 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by chassidyg 

So........Where can I taste some of your yummy bakingness next weekend? :) I'm a passholder, and there almost every weekend or every other weekend. Disney does desserts like no other. :)

Haha literally everywhere.

I work in the Disneyland Resort Central Bakery, meaning I cater to both parks as well as all three hotels.

I would recommend going to the Plaza Inn over on Main Street (right near the entrance to Tomorrowland) and pick yourself up a slice of the Sweet Memories Cake.  Flippin' amazing.  The 24 Layer Chocolate Cake at Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel is also a huge favorite of mine.

You also can't go wrong with the classic chocolate dipped Mickey face sugar cookie ;D

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 5:37pm
post #63 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNerdyBaker 

Plus on top of all of the Disney madness, I managed to snag a lead decorator position at Sweet Arleens, a 4 time undefeated Cupcake Wars champion. So I'm excited for the future for sure XD

How in the world are you able to do BOTH?!  Seems like Disney alone would more than keep you jumping.  Have you just given up sleeping altogether?  A time machine?  What's your secret?

tica82590 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tica82590 Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 4:20am
post #64 of 66

hi my name is estefany 

i also applied at disneyland and i have my first interview this friday. what can i expect.  

what kind of questios do they ask on the first interview and the one with the chef ?

im really nrevous.

thank you.

TrudyF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrudyF Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 8:40pm
post #65 of 66

Often the chef will ask you to prepare an item or two that will show him your skills.

Be familiar with the menu of the place that you are applying for so that you can be the one to offer a recipe for your "bench test".

Also, be sure that your resume briefly covers your culinary education/experience and favorite areas so that he/she will get a quick overview of you skills and strengths.

They usually won't "throw you under the bus" and ask you to do one of the most difficult recipes they just want to be sure that you have the skills that they require.

Best of Luck!

I think that Levy still has the food service contract at that location. Very high volume and they are quite picky.  I worked for them elsewhere for several years in a top position in the kitchen that prepared all of the sweets/desserts.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 11:25pm
post #66 of 66

Hi Estefany!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, with the holidays and all I have been working 10-12 hour shifts each day, so I have basically been asleep when I've not been at work XD

The first interview is just a standard interview, like you would receive anywhere; Tell me about yourself?  Why do you want to work here?  What makes you qualified for the role?  Things like that.

The second part is the part I described in all my posts in this thread.  It was a two part interview consisting of a sit down with one of our chefs then the bench test.  The interview consisted of having another quick 'get to know you' interview, followed by specific questions on baking.  Those questions included converting certain measurements in to another unit, explaining certain processes and techniques in baking, as well as general questions.  All in all, not too hard if you have even basic pastry knowledge.

Lastly was the bench test in which you are required to prepare a quick bread, a small dessert plate containing two mini desserts, and a plated dessert all of your choice.  They wont ask you to prepare anything from our production schedule, this is simply to gauge where you are in your skills and to observe how you work.

Hope this helped, and that it was at least somewhat coherent as I just woke up XD

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%