'food Grade Mold' Recipe

Baking By blwilley Updated 9 May 2017 , 10:31am by -K8memphis

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 3:12am
post #151 of 158

Hi Dizzy29

I usually let my hot liquids sit a bit before pouring them in, then I don't have a problem.  I pour my hot GummyGel mix in them, just not too hot, it still pours easily.  If it is too hot, it WILL melt the mold.  No isomalt please.

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 9:15pm
post #152 of 158

Hi what happened to your decogel recipe. I cant find it anymore. Is it okay if i ask for the recipe? Thanks a lot

Debmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debmar Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 11:21pm
post #153 of 158

where do you buy glycerin and glucose  and what brands what am I looking for

1/3  cup glycerin    
1 1/4  tsp glucose

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/765361/food-grade-mold-recipe#33pt8Ce59hbGRuUk.99

1/3  cup glycerin    
1 1/4  tsp glucose

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/765361/food-grade-mold-recipe#OsjbRlOfZVbGzOPk.99

blwilley Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 12:22am
post #154 of 158

Hi Debmar,

I lost the page I was writing on, so am doing over.   Here is the pic of my 5 ingredients.  The Glycerin can be found online, I get it by the gallon now, or in a health store with the lotions, called NOW.  In the pic, it is the center bottle, name is 'NOW', Even though it is with the other lotions, it is edible, says so right on the bottle.  It is 100% pure VEGETABLE glycerin-edible! {:o)

Now for the glucose, i just use Karo, light corn syrup.  I do have glucose, but I save it for making dough for flowers & such.  I use Karo for all my fondants, my mold recipe, and my GummyGel recipe. 

Hope this helps!

LL

Debmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debmar Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 1:34pm
post #155 of 158

Not great with measurments how do i measure out 1/6 of  tsp of coconut oil?

blwilley Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 2:16pm
post #156 of 158

This is a very forgiving recipe, just use 1/4 tsp, just don't leave it out, I tried that & the texture I wanted just was not there.

blwilley Posted 8 May 2017 , 2:09am
post #157 of 158

My recipe is called 'GummyGel',  'Decogel' is a totally different product.   Hope it helps!

Here is the recipe:

• 'GummyGel' Recipe, Useful For Decorating Cakes 

1/4 cup glycerin, WARMED
    2 envelopes (1/2 oz.) Knox Gelatine
    1/4 cup water
    1 tsp. glucose/clear corn syrup, more if desired
    1/6-1/4 tsp. coconut oil
    1/6-1/4 tsp., or as desired, of any clear flavoring.
    any desired color to desired hue (optional).
    or
    Kool-Aid is recommended for both color & flavor as an alternative.

( I am working with an 850watt microwave, be sure to adjust time/power settings as needed. For 1,100watt- use 50% power setting.)

1. Warm glycerin & set aside.

2. Combine gelatin & water, stir. Microwave 20 seconds, stir, may microwave another 15 seconds if needed to completely dissolve. (If you are only working with one color, you can dissolve it well in the water before adding the gelatine.)

3. Stir warm glycerin in well. Must be warm.

4. Stir in glucose well.

5. Add in coconut oil, and stir well. Microwave another 20 seconds. It is ready.

6.This is when I usually pour only the amount I need into a smaller cup, add my flavoring & coloring as desired, and pour into my mold. Can be flavored without color for the diamond effect. I repeat this procedure as needed to fill all necessary molds for my project, one little cup at a time..('-')

Tips & hints:
    It starts out nice & clear. I only color, and flavor, the amount I need, in a separate bowl, for each project. Leave the rest as is, and it can be reheated for later use, colored and flavored as needed, then. Clarifying works well here, especially when doing GummyGel gems.

I DO recommend using Kool-Aid, quick easy, cheap & VERY effective way of getting both color, and flavor!

Can use a silicone, or any flexible, cup to pour mix into a less detailed mold. Do not overfill, can move mix around in the mold with a toothpick to fill smaller cavities, but this must be done quickly, or it will begin to set. If it starts to setup before you are done, reheat remaining mix as needed to complete project. I often have 2 cups, with different color & flavors, going at the same time, for a 2 toned effect in the finished product.

Can refrigerate 5, or up to 20, minutes or more, to speed up setting process. The longer it sets up, the stronger it will be. Remember, it sets fast! Totally edible too. With proper flavoring, the kids, big & little, all love it! It's melt in your mouth delicious!

If you want it a little thinner, add a wee bit more water. If you need it thicker, less water, or more gelatin. I use a wooden skewer to stir my mix, it can be left in the bowl while in the microwave for less mess, just wash it off & keep it in a baggy, & it can be reused over & over.

Keeps well, in or out of the fridge. Cleanup for this recipe is a breeze. Let it cool in the cup, or container, then just lift it out, all in one neat little piece! Just put it back in the container, & put on the lid, to be remelted later for reuse. Any leftover gummies themselves can also be reheated, & repoured, to make new molds at a later time. Always label your leftovers

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2017 , 10:31am
post #158 of 158

you are brilliant, blwilley, and so kind to share your expertise -- many many thanks clap

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%