Purple Minion Hair (Despicable Me 2)

Decorating By Zamode Updated 17 Apr 2014 , 8:59pm by mattyeatscakes

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 5:23am
post #1 of 15

I'm not doing a DM2 cake but would like to in the future. I've just been thinking after seeing so many cute minion cakes, how would you do the hair on the purple minions? They're awful things but still pretty cute nonetheless!

14 replies
lisa687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa687 Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 15

I just did one for my daughter and used her playdoh extruder with fondant to build the hair up. It worked pretty well. I let the first layer dry before putting the second layer on. I would have liked to have made it even bigger with a third layer, but I ran out of time. 

Top view of evil purple minion (fondant-covered rice krispie treat); looks a little blue, but was the perfect minion purple

Despicable Me evil purple minion display and purple cupcake for the birthday girl

Zamode Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 15

Lisa that's good! Cute :)

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 15

They sell these type of extruders in most cake decorating stores but they're often labelled "sugar craft gun". It isn't always obvious what exactly they are used for, or at least it wasn't to me until I saw a demonstration for one. They are very handy to have for making hair for any kind of model. The guns/sugar extruders usually come with lots of extra little discs for creating different effects with fondant.  Just make sure your fondant is kneaded well and super soft before loading it into the gun otherwise it can break off in bits instead and get very annoying.

Great models by the way!

Zamode Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:22am
post #5 of 15

CakeGeek, I do have a small plastic one, it's not very good but it more or less does the trick. I can't get fondant in it for the life of me, though; I use rolled buttercream and slather it well with shortening. I'm oretty sure I used it for Jack's hair (in my avatar, my Jack Sparrow, his dreadlocks). I was thinking something thinner for smaller minions but am not sure what. . .all I can think of is maybe some floral wire colored purple. . . hmmm!

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 15

You could try squeezing some fondant through a garlic press, maybe? Haven't tried it before so not sure how it would work.  Or how about getting dried skinny noodles and spraying them with purple edible food colour?!!!

Zamode Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:59am
post #7 of 15

I do have a garlic press. .  .I think I would have to make some rolled BC for the extruder I have and look into getting a good one. I like the noodle idea, something very stiff. I mean look at the hair! Ha!

h2o_db Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h2o_db Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 15

or maybe find some purple coton candy?

Zamode Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 15

Purple cotton candy would be perfect! I've only seen blue and pink, though. Then there is the question of how to attach it. .  .hmm. . . 

h2o_db Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 15

where i live there is only pink but when you google it i saw that color exists and it taste like grape. Now how to attach it? it would melt with humidity... Maybe I would take a whole fluff and try to with a scriber needle to prick the middle part down (the rest of the cotton candy would hide that) (i'm thinking about the technique people use to put hair on dolls) don't know if what i'm explaining makes any sense... 

Zamode Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:35am
post #11 of 15

It makes perfect sense! :) Have to keep the purple cotton candy on a search!

eBakestreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eBakestreats Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 15

AAll [quote name="h2o_db" url="/t/761293/purple-minion-hair-despicable-me-2#post_7421560"]where i live there is only pink but when you google it i saw that color exists and it taste like grape. Now how to attach it? it would melt with humidity... Maybe I would take a whole fluff and try to with a scriber needle to prick the middle part down (the rest of the cotton candy would hide that) (i'm thinking about the technique people use to put hair on dolls) don't know if what i'm explaining makes any sense...  The best place I know of for cotton candy mixes is gygi.com. They actually have a store here, and I have a cotton candy machine so that's pretty easy idea for me (I do realize not many people own cotton candy machines) I would also maybe try a party supply store for already made stuff and diff colors of mixes

Luvtobake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvtobake1960 Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 11:27am
post #13 of 15

I bought "grape" cotton candy here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.   It is a light lavender color, but I am thinking of spraying it with Wilton's food coloring spray (there is a purple) once I have it on the Minion cupcakes.   Call around to specialized candy stores.  You might find they can make you purple cotton candy, like this store did.

h2o_db Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 15

I would test it first because i'm not sure sugar and humidity go well together... I have a feeling it might melt.. 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 15

ACotton candy will "dissolve" and clump together shortly after it's outside its package. It loses its fluffiness once it comes in contact with air or water..i think fondant hair would work better ;) or if you go with the cotton candy route, if you're at the party you can add more cotton candy every once in a while... Good luck! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%