What Have I Done Wrong? Ganache Has Set Hard!

Decorating By dewdee Updated 22 Apr 2014 , 10:56am by natt12321

dewdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dewdee Posted 15 May 2013 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 16

AOk help needed! I just made my first dark chocolate ganache about 3 hours ago. It's sittings at room temperature and has basically set hard. Eek!

I used 500g 70 percent choc and 250g whipping cream. I know I can re heat it to apply but have I done something wrong here? I was expecting it to stay peanut butter like consistency? Should I add more cream?

Any advice much appreciated!

15 replies
mariets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariets Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 16

I use equal amounts of cream and chocolate.

dewdee Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 16

AMariets is that for ganache going under fondant? I thought the ratio was 2:1. Do you think I could reheat and add some more cream without destroying it?

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 16

AHow long has it been sitting out for? It's perfectly normal for it to set hard. Just whiz it in the microwave for 30 seconds then short intervals till it becomes smoother mixing well in between, then ice your cake. It will set hard after sitting out so just reheat as needed. You didn't do anything wrong, that's just how it works.

meriem Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 16

AAlso you want it to be relatively hard when using under fondant it helps with cleaner edges :)

mariets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariets Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 16

Sorry, I don't know about under fondant, I've only used it in this recipe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_cake_48307

dewdee Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 16

AReally? Well that's a relief. It's sitting out about 4 hours now. I guess I just wasnt expecting it to set like that. Thanks a mil for the advice, I feel better now!

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 16

IF you're ganaching a cake, under the fondant...it's suppose to set hard. just put it in the microwave at 10-20 or so second intervals and it will get to the peanut butter consistency that you want, then put it on the cake..

meriem Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 16

A

Original message sent by dewdee

Really? Well that's a relief. It's sitting out about 4 hours now. I guess I just wasnt expecting it to set like that. Thanks a mil for the advice, I feel better now!

Anytime :)

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 16

I always had problems with my ganache setting too hard to use as a nice filling for cakes.

I like ganache made with dark choc, but 70% is REALLY dark and is one reason it's set so hard!!  If you're going to use such dark choc, increase the amount of cream.

Even using 53% cocoa solids, I found I had to increase the cream so it didn't set solid inside.  However, as a previous poster has pointed out, if it's for covering your cake under sugarpaste, then you WANT it to set hard.

Milk choc doesn't set as hard.  It's to do with the cocoa solids.

Suzanne x

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:

Milk choc doesn't set as hard.  It's to do with the cocoa solids.

Milk chocolate doesn't set hard? I'm looking into using ganache under fondant but my customer doesn't like dark chocolate.

meriem Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 16

AI half my chocolate and use both milk and dark chocolate to get the consistency and taste that I like. So for example I use, 300g dark chocolate 300g milk chocolate to 600g cream. It sets so i can ganache a cake easily but not as much as dark on its own. I guess you will need to play around and see what works best for you

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 May 2013 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Me Crazy 

Milk chocolate doesn't set hard? I'm looking into using ganache under fondant but my customer doesn't like dark chocolate.

It doesn't set AS hard.  It will be fine.

dewdee Posted 15 May 2013 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 16

ABrilliant, thanks folks. So if I needed to make some more I could make a milk chocolate ganache and mix it with what I already have and use it? Looks like I might be a bit short. Thanks again!

fancy fondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancy fondant Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 8:29am
post #15 of 16

A

Original message sent by meriem

I half my chocolate and use both milk and dark chocolate to get the consistency and taste that I like. So for example I use, 300g dark chocolate 300g milk chocolate to 600g cream. It sets so i can ganache a cake easily but not as much as dark on its own. I guess you will need to play around and see what works best for you

Hi have you tried using dark chocolate and Infusing with flavours? Play around with flavours. I personally don't like dark chocolate but I love dark chocolate and mint. I've recently read a blog of another cake decorator who uses flavours with ganche and they sound yummy. That way it will still set hard. Another thing you could do is milk choc ganache inside as a filler that is thick and moist but use dark chocolate 2:1 ration to set the outside for use under fondant that is what I'm doing today for a wedding cake. X

This was meant for Baking me Crazy....I've not left a reply before sorry ladies x

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 10:56am
post #16 of 16

I use different rations for different type of chocolate. 1:1 for dark, 2:1 for milk and 4:1 for white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%