$80 For A 10In Fondant Covered Cake With Baby Rump On Top?

Business By weidertm24 Updated 15 Jul 2014 , 4:54am by Woofncowboy

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 9:08am
post #1 of 13

$80? - Does that sounds like a reasonable price? I know it's really hard to give prices because it's different person to person, place to place but just wanted an opinion if you think it's reasonable or not. I've never done baby rump on top and wasn't sure how much extra to charge. 

10in round marble cake, american buttercream. marshmallow fondant  covering it, with a baby rump on top. I was thinking of doing the half ball in cake but we'll see.

12 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:17am
post #2 of 13

A 10" Round Double layer serves approximately 35...

I have never used the ball pan... I am going to guess that will be another 15 or so servings at least...

$80 means you are charging $1.60 per servings for a fondant custom cake... That seems a bit low for around my area...

Around my area that combo would run you at least $125 to $150...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 13

A$200

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 13

I'm with leah.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 13

You're right, it all depends on where you from.  For me, that's about all I could charge for something like that where I live.  Your best bet as far as pricing is to try to research other cake makers in your area and see what they are charging.  If the one pic you have posted is the kind of work that you do, then you definitely have skills so don't undersell yourself.

I live in a very remote area and have never had a problem with pricing my wedding cakes and rarely does anyone balk at them.  However, when it comes to occasional cakes, people just don't get it.  I've been doing this for five years and  have struggled with pricing my occasional cakes since the start and I'm sure I've underpriced most all of them!  Last year after completing another back-breaking cake (the basket of crabs in my pics) that took me MANY, MANY hours (sold it for $200 and that was high for me), I finally decided enough was enough and have tried to stick to my same per-serving base price as my wedding cakes.  Needless to say, it has significantly affected the number of orders I get for occasional cakes.  Which is fine with me (thankfully, this is just a hobby so I don't count on this a "real" source of income) because then the people that do order from me are the ones that "get it" about custom cakes.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is you need to decide what's right for your area and also what kind of clientele you want.  If you're too cheap you'll get everyone that wants something for nothing, if you're too expensive, you'll get limited orders.  

I look at it this way, I'd rather sell one cake for $300 and make $100 profit, than 10 cakes for $50 to make the same amount.

Good Luck!

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! Exactly what I was looking for. I've had problems with pricing in my area, it as well is a remote area. Most people just get sheet cakes from their grocery stores. Again, thanks!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 13

I am not going to chime in on pricing because I know I am too low but wanted to say I won't offer the baby rump on a 10 inch cake personally.  I don't feel like there is enough room on the top og the cake for it to look good.  I know it will fit tightly but I like a little more room to write on it too.  The ball is about 6 inches then the legs on the sides and the feet - that takes up the entire top of the cake.  Looks ok but not my favorite look.  I did one this morning on a 12 inch and it left me jsut enough room to write Welcome BABY NAME!

Amore Dolci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amore Dolci Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 13

I live in South Florida and I am a pastry chef. I have done a cake like this and I charged $225. At the same time I charge per tier, how much decor needs to be added, and my labor/time it took to create it. $80 to me is way to low for that. If you are making it in your home and not in a designated shop, then I would go with $145-$160.

Amore Dolci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amore Dolci Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 13

My baby cake that I did, I did a 12 in cake and then the 6 inch baby bum in the middle of the cake which gives plenty of space to write on. 

CakedOCNY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakedOCNY Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 13

AI did one on a 10" round worked out nicely I put writing in the front [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3120256/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:36am
post #11 of 13

I would charge $150

AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 8:20am
post #12 of 13

AMight be a tad late, but id charge $200 for that cake xxx good luck

Woofncowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woofncowboy Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 4:54am
post #13 of 13

I just did a 12" cake with a baby rump for $80 and I think it was way too low. But, it was part of the shower gift as well. So all in all. I think about $125 - $150 is reasonable.Baby shower cake. First one I've ever made like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%