First Wedding Cake........

Decorating By ashleykay07 Updated 2 Aug 2014 , 5:36am by Apti

ashleykay07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleykay07 Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 14

Oh my goodness, I've just begun making cakes again after a few months. I'm a bit nervous about this task. I have only done a couple tiered cakes. I've been asked to make a 3 tier square butter cream aqua color with white accents wedding cake. They also want top tier and bottom chocolate and the middle tier white. They only need to serve a rough estimate as of now is 60. The wedding isn't till Feb 9th. So my questions is what size pans would be best? Also, what brands do you all use? I personally do not like Wilton pans.

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 14

Pretty much everything W is inferior.  Best pans, IMO are Magic Line. 

Squares are easy to figure on servings.  length of one side X 1/2 length of another side = servings.  Therefore an 8" pan serves 32 or,  8 X 4 = 32

6" square = 18 servings

10" square = 50 servings

Are they keeping the top tier as an anniversary tier?  And even though they want 60 servings, they may have to buy more servings, because you may have to sell them a 6/8/10.

And do look at SPS as your support system.  It will take the worries away.

ashleykay07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleykay07 Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, they're wanting to keep the top tier, so a 6-8-10. Thanks so much! And yes, I've looked at the SPS system most defiantly will be using!

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 3:39am
post #4 of 14

Just curious, what is SPS? Thanks.

Doritta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doritta Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 3:50am
post #5 of 14

Single Plate System  

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:33am
post #6 of 14

SPS = Bakery Crafts name for their Single Plate Separators.

leah_s Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 14

AThe SPS info is in my signature line.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 14

I agree with Leah - Magic Line makes awesome pans. Fat Daddio's are good too.  When I first started I bought a bunch of Wilton and have since replaced most of them with "good" pans. 

The only other thing I can say is. . .practice those square corners.  They are a pain, both in buttercream and in fondant,  til you become adept at them. 

VKakes11 Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks, ladies :)

VKakes11 Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 14

Oh, and btw, where can I buy these, and do all the pieces come together in one package or do you have to buy e/ piece seperately? TIA

leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKakes11 

Oh, and btw, where can I buy these, and do all the pieces come together in one package or do you have to buy e/ piece seperately? TIA

Are you talking about SPS?  Did you read my signature line?

Gator Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gator Gal Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 2:35am
post #12 of 14

ALeah - I've watched a couple you tube videos on the SPS and I don't see how one tier is actually connected to the other. It appears that the only thing holding the tiers is the weight of the other. Is there a way to connect them so the cake can be transported put together rather than assembled at the site?

leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 4:15am
post #13 of 14

ATheres a littke spike that grabs the cardboard under the tier. You put bc between everything. SPS is designed so that you can stack at home and transport assembled whatever you can lift. Once you use it you'll understand.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 5:33am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doritta 

Single Plate System  

Dorita~~Thanks for posting the great video by Renee (HappyCakesBakes)

The video presentation is another way of understanding the SPS system.  leah_s has created (and freely shared) a superb PDF tutorial about SPS.   (thanks again! Leah!)

http://media.cakecentral.com/files/sps_104.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re:  SPS   I am the first to admit that I was confused as heck for quite a while and didn't quite know how to use it or what to order.  Once I actually took the plunge and ordered and used SPS, I felt like a dope.  When you have the pieces in your hands, it is super easy and you will wonder why you were ever confused in the first place.  DOH....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%