Agbay Cake Leveler Or Not?

Decorating By DiddleMeSweet Updated 7 Aug 2016 , 5:22pm by Marian64

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:27am
post #61 of 89

@ShirleyW - Are you the same wonderful/darling/adorable/precious ShirleyW that did the CakeCentral tutorial about wrapping a cake in chocolate???

Anyway...on to your question.  You will LOVE your Agbay.  You will not need to purchase new pans since the Agbay cutting height is adjustable.  I only use 2" deep pans.  I do not cut off the bottom of a cake just because I think that is way too "perfectionist" which I am not.    However, if you did wish to follow the perfectionist route and cut off the bottom it would be just fine.  I always use a lifter to move my room temperature cake layers since I don't have the fridge space to "cool" the layers.  For 10" and smaller cakes I use the Wilton 8" Cake Lifter, Item # 2103-307      For larger layers I use the Wilton 14 x 20 x 1/4 in. deep Jumbo Aluminum Cookie Sheet  Item# 2105-6213

These cake lifters work great on any layers, no matter how thick or thin, or whether pound or delicate texture. 

I'd suggest you make at least two, 2" deep layer cakes before your Agbay arrives so you can have something to cut.  Do not level the cakes in the pan.  You'll have fun and be smiling big, giant smiles when you look at your torted cakes. 

The Agbay will NOT cut FROZEN cakes, but it will cut cold , cool, or room temperature cakes. 

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 3:02am
post #62 of 89

@ShirleyW you will love your agbay! I have never cut myself using it to cut. Wish I could say the same about cleaning it. Th good news is I still have all my fingers. So definitely be careful. 

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 4:50am
post #63 of 89

Thank you Marian, after amputating the tip of my index finger on a blender blade I am a bit nervous about the sharpness of this Agbay. Even watching the video I was holding my breath when she placed her hands too close to the leveler blade.

ShirleyW Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 4:56am
post #64 of 89

Hi Apti, yes, it is me (I) I just don't post in the forums any longer. 77 now but still doing cake design, I have added lots of new cakes in my gallery page. Thank you for remembering me. The temps. here have been 100 degrees and over so was not thrilled about baking a cake. But of course I want to try out that leveler as soon as it gets here so no doubt will be baking to experiment. Glad to know I can still use my 2" deep pans. The lifter sounds great but in the meantime I am going to look for an inexpensive cookie sheet without sides. Just one that is sturdy enough to not bend when lifting a cake.

Aliceinde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliceinde Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 1:20pm
post #65 of 89

Okay I know the Agbay is probably the best.  But what if someone can't afford it?  Maybe they are just getting started at all this cake baking and decorating thing (like me).  I think my husband would flip if I told him I wanted to spend that much on a cake leveler.  I also agree that the Wilton cake leveler is scrap.  Don't buy it!

So what did I do?  I found this one and have been using it for about a year now.  It's not a bad option at all.  It comes with 3 blades too.  It's is definitely more stable than the Wilton one for sure.  Just my two cents here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Blades-Adjustable-Large-Interlayer-Cake-Craft-Saw-Leveler-Slicer-Cutter-Torts-/141943498483

Hope this helps someone like me!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:24pm
post #66 of 89

Yes to the Agbay.  Absolutely.  There is nothing better!  Yes, its a lot of money, so for those just starting out, ask your family to pool there holiday or birthday gifts to you and jointly purchase the Agbay.  The cost split several ways is not that bad.  It will make such a difference in your cake life!

I too, resisted for years, did work arounds, tried different products.  Once I got my first Agbay, I finally understood.  There's only one answer to the question, "Should I buy an Agbay?"  "yes!"

PS, yes the blade it very sharp.  Please treat it with respect. 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 4:05pm
post #67 of 89

@leah_s ‍ I am getting ready to finalize the order for an agbay. Any tips on using it and how to keep fingers intact? Thanks for the info on it. While it's a big purchase anything that gives you a consistent result is worth the purchase so I'm excited to see how this improves my husbands work. 

leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 4:11pm
post #68 of 89

Don't put your fingers in front of the blade!  I bought a cut proof glove when I first got my Agbay after nicking myself a few times.  (I didn't follow my own advice.)  Also, when cleaning it, clean from the backside.  Seems, obvious, but  . . .

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 5:40pm
post #69 of 89

Though I no longer have it for years I had something very similar to the one  Aliceinde mentions.  I loved it!  Don't remember where I got it, what it's called or anything.  It had a single blade w/plastic (?)  sleeve 'legs' that allowed one to adjust the blade height about 1/2" each of 3 slots. I really  miss it!

Apti Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 6:29am
post #70 of 89

I've tried twice to post some Agbay pics, but the CC glitches have killed each attempt.  What the heck, maybe 3 is the magic number.

[postimage id="4840" thumb="900"]

Apti Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 6:31am
post #71 of 89

Picture above is a 2+ inch dark chocolate sour cream cake.  I am cutting the first 1" high layer.

Picture below is the second cut to obtain the second 1" high layer.

[postimage id="4841" thumb="900"]

Webake2gether Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 12:45pm
post #72 of 89

@leah_s ‍ I think it's the obvious things that  seem to cause me the most damage. If I were to use it if probably lose a finger!! I've told my husband all the tips and suggestions. Thanks again!!! I can't wait for it to come.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 1:27pm
post #73 of 89

I'm sure agby is the best and I really appreciate you everyone sharing their experiences. Your comments are helping me and others. I would love to have an agby, but it's not in my budget right now( I suspect I will purchase one within a year), but I will be ordering the one aliceceinade suggest for now, I'm sure it is better than the wilton(don't like it at all )one I have and it will beat the tooth picks and tooth floss method that I have been using

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 3:57am
post #74 of 89

Happily my 2nd AGBAY cutter is on the way.  I already have the larger one and I'm adding the small one to my kitchen. It's a brilliant product and the owners are really wonderful people.  It definitely goes high on the list of things that are the Best Buy for cake decorating.

Good demonstration @Apti ‍ nice of you to share!!!

Apti Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 7:21am
post #75 of 89

You're welcome.  I've been trying (with zero success) to post the final photo of four, perfect 1" high layers, but the forum keeps glitching. 

[postimage id="4850" thumb="900"]

Apti Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 7:24am
post #76 of 89

Son of a gun!  It finally worked!  Apparently reducing the photo size before loading was the answer.  

When you need four, perfectly torted 14"x1" layers, THAT'S when the Agbay is worth every penny!   No matter how careful I was, my torting cuts on the cakes larger than 8" or 10" ended up going wonky. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 7:39am
post #77 of 89

It's just brilliant how perfectly it torts and levels those tops.  I'm just a devoted hobbiest, I can't imaging how much easier it would make life If I was running a small cakery.  Now I'm going to learn how to do the icing leveling next.  That might just be another huge step for me.  I've basically failed with the acrylic discs, so it's well worth the attempt.

Thanks to Maureen at Agbay, my decorating has been kicked up a knotch.  I just love it when small privately owned business people are successful with ingenious products.

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 5:14am
post #78 of 89

When I was researching the Agbay I read about how the owner worked in a bakery and hated all levelers on the market so she talked to her husband, who is a mechanical engineer, and he developed the Agbay.  So, I had my husband, who is also a mechanical engineer, look at it and see if he could make me one for cheaper and said he didn't see a way to improve it or reproduce it for less.

littlejewel Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 11:42am
post #79 of 89

After looking at the agby sight and pondering on the purchase I figured if a junior agby can fit all my needs I wont have to wait to purchase it. I have a few questions that will help me to decide which agby is best for me.  Do you suggest Single or double blade, and why? Will the average  half sheet cake fit through the junior agby? 

Apti Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 3:43pm
post #80 of 89

My recommendation as a  hobby baker:  Invest the extra $79 and get the Agbay Single Blade Cake Leveler, not the junior.   The biggest differences are  the overall height of 6" vs. 4-1/2", and obviously the extra width for wider cakes.   I find I enjoy the extra width even when torting smaller cakes because it is just "easier" and I don't have to fiddle be precise when cutting a layer.    Since I hobby bake, I'm always trying something new and it is very nice to have the flexibility of those extra inches in height and width, even if I only utilize those features once in a while.

Personally, I don't see the need for a double blade system unless you are turning out a LOT of cakes like a production bakery.     It only takes a moment to re-adjust the single blade for the second cut.

Realistically, I would probably be just fine with a single blade Agbay Jr., but I figured for the extra $$, it didn't make sense to get something that wasn't the best of the best.  Heck, I've spent a bloomin' fortune on useless cake gadgets, flavorings, molds, ingredients that I end up throwing away because I'm never going to "use the rest of the bag", etc.  Every now and then I want to smack myself on the forehead and say, "stupid, stupid, stupid!".    I don't get that feeling when I look at my larger Agbay Single Blade.

Marian64 Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 1:19pm
post #81 of 89

I agree spend the extra. I did and it has more than paid for itself. You never know when you may need the bigger one. I love mine.

ShirleyW Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 8:24pm
post #82 of 89

It's here, It's here! It's like the stork delivering a new bundle of joy. I was very careful removing it from the bubble wrap and putting it together. Haven't tried a cake as yet but I will. I have been watching the Agbay video over and over to make sure I know what I am doing.

ShirleyW Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 8:27pm
post #83 of 89

They look beautiful Apti, so level and I see very few crumbs to deal with too.

ShirleyW Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 8:28pm
post #84 of 89

Thanks so much for the tips dear Apti!

littlejewel Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 9:24pm
post #85 of 89

Thanks Apti and Maram64, you are always very helpful. So I will be ordering the agby in a few months. 

Apti Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 4:19am
post #86 of 89

Congratulations @ShirleyW!!!  You're right, it cuts SO clean there are no crumbs. 

@littlejewel - let us know.

And both of you---we want pictures!

Webake2gether Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 1:21pm
post #87 of 89

Hands down the best purchase we've made. We leveled 8 cakes this weekend with the agbay and my husband was like I can't believe I didn't buy this sooner!! It's a simple tool with amazing results!! It's a super clean cut and the no crumbs blew us away. It is definitely worth every penny I feel silly for questioning whether to buy it or not now lol. 

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 1:35pm
post #88 of 89

I had the same reaction when I bought my first one.  I can't believe I waited so long.  Money well spent.  It just one of those things where you can't believe how good it is, and how much difference it makes in your cake life.  It seems so simple to just use a knife, but once you Agbay, you'll never go back to a knife, floss, toothpicks or any other  of the nonsense I used to do.

Marian64 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 5:22pm
post #89 of 89

@ShirleyW congratulation, yes let us know how you like it. 

@littlejewel ‍ you won't regret the purchase at all. Can't wait for you to get it.

I have to say it was the best purchase I ever made and I don't bake professional.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%