Elephant Cake Pops Yikes

Decorating By sarahp7467 Updated 22 Jan 2015 , 8:45pm by cherri1952

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I have been asked to make Elephant cake pops. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to use for the trunk? I was thinking of using fondant but I am afraid it would be heavy and break off.

Thank you in advance

7 replies
BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 8

I have found that if you make appendages out of candy clay, or modeling chocolate, and attach them prior to dipping, they are more sturdy. See how I used this technique on my fighter jet cake pops here:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2348506/c-17-jet-cake-pops

I'd recommend making thin trunks using candy clay made from the same chocolate or melts you plan to dip with. Attach the trunk to the ball with melted chocolate, allow to set (in freezer, if nec) and then dip the whole thing at once.

Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 8

BakedAlaska gave great advice. I just ADORE those fighter jets!!!

You might also consider shaping the trunk in an "S" shape so there are two points of contact with the head. After dipping, you'll probably want to use a toothpick to poke excess chocolate out of the hole formed by the trunk.

TheCupcakeEng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCupcakeEng Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 12:23am
post #4 of 8

I tried to make the trunks out of candy clay but am having problems with them sticking to the front of the cake ball, even with it dipped in chocolate as glue.  When i dip the whole thing in the candy coating, the trunk falls off.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get the trunk to stay?

Thanks in advance!

Robyn

Rudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudd Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 8

I couldn't figure out how to add an image of a photo I saved into my favorites, so I'm just posting the link. I don't think these are the exact cake pops you were planning on making, but these look so easy you may want to take a look. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3251486/used-a-butter-fly-mini-cutter-made-ears-with-my-fingers-pushed-up-his-feet-added-a-trunk-some-eyes-and-put-him-on-top-of-a-cake-ball/

TheCupcakeEng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCupcakeEng Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Rudd,

Thank you! That seems way easier than what the customer wants...I wish.  They actually sent me pictures of some stuff they found online of what they want but none of them have tutorials. Thank you for the help!

Robyn

pop hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pop hobby Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 8

AI've done the elephant pops before not a 100 on how I did them but I know I used candy clay to make the trunks n I'm pretty sure I stuck them after I dipped them. I think the key is trying to have as much of the trunk on the actual pop as much as possible so u can use melted chocolate to adhere it. [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3323641/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

cherri1952 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherri1952 Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8

Hi there....I have made these and I used modelling chocolate...you can also use chocolate melts and make the trunks on wax paper or parchment and attach to the cake pops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%