E. Guittard Couverture Choc. Wafers As Ganache?

Decorating By mmmcake0072 Updated 15 Apr 2014 , 12:28am by mrsgreshcakes

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:14pm
post #31 of 40

Oh yeah, Blue, of course! Lets take that offline though.

PS - the Golden Gate Bridge is not at Golden Gate park. icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:17pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Oh yeah, Blue, of course! Lets take that offline though.
Shall do -

PS - the Golden Gate Bridge is not at Golden Gate park. icon_biggrin.gif

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 7:40pm
post #33 of 40

In making ganache under fondant, I saw recommendations for ratios of 3:1 and 2:1 for white chocolate. Would you recommend the same for dark chocolate, and is that by weight or volume? Is it cream:chocolate or chocolate:cream? Thanks!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 8:40pm
post #34 of 40

chocolate to cream by weight.

because i can't post links, google the blog entry for 'art and appetite ganache' and you will get perfect tutorials on the topic.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 9:08pm
post #35 of 40

Thank you, Lorieleann!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 6:41am
post #36 of 40

FromScratch, did the Scharffen Berger cocoa powder change? That is what I use of theirs. I don't use the chocolate. I have to rely on my husband to pick it up in Annapolis at Sur La Table. Since I started the bakery, I haven't been there myself to find other chocolates. If I don't get that, I have to go online. WS sells Pernigotti, but that was milder to me.

The SB is what I use in my littel six inch cahmbord cake and it is bold and actually pretty good to someone who doesn't like chocolate. But I'm also generous with the Chambord.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 4:43pm
post #37 of 40

SCP, yes the Scharffenberger recipe changed a few years ago when they closed the local plant and moved it to the mid west somewhere when it was bought by Hershey's. It's similar, but not the same.

The Bay Area foodies are particularly snobby about it because it was sold a while ago with promises that the recipe and plant location would not change. But that didn't happen - Hershey's kept the pant going a few years, then shut it down. I can't remember if it was right before or right after old man Scharffenberger died, and according to local news and rumors, the Berkeley plant and the SB line was super profitable as is. Anyway there was a mad rush to buy any bars that said they were made in Berkeley. I thought it was lamesauce until I bought a "new" bar and sure enough, it tasted different. Not bad, but not the same.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:14pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

I use Callebaut exclusively. In Canada when bought in bulk the price is reasonable. We also have some "store" brands that taste exactly like Callebaut and cost a lot less ($4.00 for 400 grams).

In the US it appears that TJoes and WMart house brands of the "pound plus" bars are made by Callebaut and are deeply discounted.

The couverture chocolate sets firm when made into ganache--just the same as Peter/Nestle and Merckens real chocolate chips. Why would I clutter my house with fake chocolate when the real thing is so much better?

BakingIrene,

Where in Canada do you purchase your Callebut chocolate?

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 12:26am
post #39 of 40

A

Original message sent by BabyGerald

I exclusively use the Guittard couveture as a white chocolate ganache coat and totally dig it! [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG] It won all my taste tests. I think America's Test Kitchen favored the Guittard white chocolate chips in their trials, but didn't use the couverture discs in their taste tests.

Of course, it's very easy to find in the SF bay area b/c Guittard is made locally - another bonus.

I MUST be doing something wrong because I'm having a muck of a time with the E. Guitars white chocolate wafers for ganache. I know white chocolate is picky to start, but I did the 3:1, put it in the fridge overnight and it still didn't set. Maybe it's my cream, maybe it's me, but I need help because I really want to use ganache under fondant without paying through the nose for the super expensive stuff.

Help please!!

hth

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 12:28am
post #40 of 40

AI don't know how my reply got into the quote box but my plea for help is the last paragraph.

Thanks in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%