Looking For Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe!!

Decorating By designerof3 Updated 24 Apr 2014 , 9:19pm by denetteb

designerof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designerof3 Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 24

I am making my very first wedding cake on June 8th for my little sister's wedding. Last week, I found a "Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting" recipe on this website from "aztomcat", but when I went back to write down the recipe, it now says "page not found, error 404". YIPES!

Can anyone help me out here? I'm making a 2 tiered dense carrot cake so this frosting seemed perfect as the bride and groom are not fondant fans.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

23 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 28 May 2012 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 24

It's not just the recipe you're looking for...it would appear that you can't open any recipes in the recipe section. They are having some sort of issue because I noticed over a week ago that all my "saved recipes" were gone. So I tried to start saving them again and couldn't. So I started saving them as favorites in my browser and now every recipe I saved is coming up with a 404 error message. icon_cry.gif

This is a recipe I saved in my own documents, however I haven't tried it as of yet. Hope this might help.

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing
BY: EDENCAKES
Rating: 8.8/10 (124 votes cast)

This is a recipe for a crusting cream cheese icing that Ive seen floating around this site in the forums. People are constantly looking for it and it wasnt in the recipes, so I thought I would post it. Its not mine, Kathy Finholt from Iowa is the original creator.

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioners sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

designerof3 Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 24

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know about the recipes, that is just too strange. Hope they get it figured out soon! I wrote down the recipe you shared and I may give that one a try instead!
Thanks again!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:29am
post #4 of 24

This is the same recipe I use (called another name though) except for flavoring it uses 2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp butter flavor. It crusts, tastes fabulous,is able to make scrolls, shells, etc for decorating.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:52am
post #5 of 24

Perhaps if you pm atoztomcat, s/he will give you the recipe directly.

janicedale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicedale Posted 29 May 2012 , 6:40am
post #6 of 24

I once made a Cheese Cake and its just a normal cheese cake and I wanted to have the same idea of your cake. So, I decided to try this at home your Crusting Cream Cheese Icing and I will share my experience in preparing and the taste of this dessert.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2012 , 6:57am
post #7 of 24

The recipe I use is the same above but I use real vanilla.
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
I love this recipe. It doesn't require refrigeration. I haven't tried clear vanilla in this recipe yet. Most people know that cream cheese frosting will be off white in color.

designerof3 Posted 29 May 2012 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 24

Yes! I don't mind using real vanilla, I'm actually hoping for a off-white tone since my sister's dress is ivory.

My goal with my cake, is to achieve a look I found off pinterest. 2 tiers (10in and 8 in), homemade dense carrot cake for each, crumb frosted with this Crusting Cream Cheese frosting and then frosting again with the same but with a almost "bark or whipped" look to the frosting. I wish I could explain a bit better.

I just attached a photo of what I'm trying to do with the frosting. I don't own any rights to the photo, I hope it's ok to add it here, I found it on the web.

Could you guys let me know if you think this frosting can hold up to this styling?

Thanks!
LL

denetteb Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 24

It should be fine, it performs just like regular buttercream. Of course since it has butter and cream cheese in it you need to not have it sitting out in the blazing sun. But then most buttercreams wouldn't like that either. Your look should be a piece of cake. I don't know if you would really need to do the crumb coat. I think if you did a halfways neat job with an icer tip or a big star tip to get an even coat, then use your spatula to spread you would be done. Certainly no need to be fussy and do any real smoothing with your crumb coat.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 May 2012 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 24

This is my regular BC frosting. It crusts great and tastes even better;

1 -8 ounce box of cream cheese
2 sticks (8 ounces) of real butter
2 lbs powdered sugar

You don't need vanilla. Just cream the cream cheese and butter together until well combined and slowly add the powdered sugar.

This is the recipe the bakery I worked for use and it's what I use now for everything.

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 30 May 2012 , 12:26am
post #11 of 24

I always use Edna DelaCruz's recipe from her website and it never fails for me. Here is the link:
http://designmeacake.com/cccbc.html

designerof3 Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 24

Denetteb (Oh I hope I got your nickname right)

Do you think this recipe (with your flavoring changes as well), will be alright if I make it the day before the wedding and refrigerate it till the morning of the wedding?

Thank you!

denetteb Posted 31 May 2012 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 24

It will be fabulous! I used it for a friends wedding cake. It used to be my CC avatar but somehow not there anymore. I decorated the day before and refrigerated until the wedding, just like you are planning on. But go ahead and make your icing now and refrigerate it and you can get that part out of the way ahead of time. Same with the cakes if you want. Denette

KirasCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirasCakery Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 3:50am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady 

It's not just the recipe you're looking for...it would appear that you can't open any recipes in the recipe section. They are having some sort of issue because I noticed over a week ago that all my "saved recipes" were gone. So I tried to start saving them again and couldn't. So I started saving them as favorites in my browser and now every recipe I saved is coming up with a 404 error message. icon_cry.gif

This is a recipe I saved in my own documents, however I haven't tried it as of yet. Hope this might help.

BY: EDENCAKES
Rating: 8.8/10 (124 votes cast)

This is a recipe for a crusting cream cheese icing that Ive seen floating around this site in the forums. People are constantly looking for it and it wasnt in the recipes, so I thought I would post it. Its not mine, Kathy Finholt from Iowa is the original creator.

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioners sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

how many cups does this recipe yield?

denetteb Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:13am
post #15 of 24

I have in my notes on my recipe card that it makes around 6 cups.

KirasCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirasCakery Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:24am
post #16 of 24

Thank you very much for your quick response!!

denetteb Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:27am
post #17 of 24

Your welcome, it is wonderful.

V_Dizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
V_Dizzle Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 24

I am making a two tiered 7.5 octagon shaped cake, a UFC ring. It is going to be pretty small. How do I cut down this recipe for this cake? I def don't need 6 cups of frosting haha

denetteb Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:20am
post #19 of 24

You could just divide all of the ingredients in half to make a half batch.  Or make a full batch so you  make sure you have enough and freeze the extra.  Or you can do as I do and refrigerate or freeze the rest intending to use it for the next cake and end up eating the whole thing over a period of days a spoon (or two or three or four...) at a time.  Shhh, dont tell anyone my confession.

GF Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GF Mommy Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:36am
post #20 of 24

AAhh I see my mistake on Tuesday I made a cream cheese icing that stayed to thin. The recipe I used had 1/4 cup butter to one 8 oz. package of butter. Will be checking around cake central before I try anything new again. Cake turn out nice. Could have been much better with a better icing

V_Dizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
V_Dizzle Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:35pm
post #21 of 24

denetteb that is EXACTLY why I can't make more frosting than is needed at the time, I EAT IT! hahaha

tess1776 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tess1776 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:17pm
post #22 of 24

Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting
Just made a 3-tiered wedding cake with the cake flavors: red velvet, chocolate and pumpkin spice. The bride of course chose cream cheese frosting but wanted a fondant look without fondant. Called for a nice crusting cream cheese icing. So after trial and error, here's what I came up with. She wanted a cream colored icing, so I did add a dab of brown coloring to the mixture.

Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

• 1 + 1/3 cup veg shortening 16 oz cream cheese softened at room temp (2 8oz blocks) 3 tsp clear vanilla extract 3 tsp clear butter extract 2 tsp clear almond extract or creme bouquet (or you can use 1 tsp of both - yum) 3 tbs meringue powder 1/3 tsp fine popcorn salt (or reg salt) 3 - 3.5 lbs powdered sugar 1/4c plain powdered creamer dissolved in 1/4 c very hot water (you may use flavored creamers, if you want to infuse a flavoring) You may not need to use all of the liquid.

Instructions

1. Cream shortening, softened cr. cheese and extracts, then mix in meringue powder and salt then add 3 tbs creamer mixture.
  2. Once everything is smooth, slowly add 3 lbs of your powdered sugar with your mixer set on a low setting. Mix on setting six or med-high for 6 minutes or so.
  3. If you need a thicker icing add more p. sugar. If you 'd like it thinner add more of your liquid. You probably know what consistency you are comfortable with.
  4. For crumb coating, take a few cups out and add more of the liquid to thin it out for your first coat. Let dry before applying your top layer of frosting.
  5. Once iced you can smooth the cake with a hot but dry spatula.(Dip in a very hot water and dry it before use). Let crust for about 20 minutes. I have been able to use the Melvira method with this icing utilizing both the roller and viva towels.
  6. You can see how this smoothed for me in my pictures it is the fall wedding cake with black ribbon and fall roses.
  7. This recipe will make a very white icing perfect for wedding cakes. If you want a more ivory cream cheese icing, substitute 1/2 cup butter for 1/2 cup shortening. Then the recipe will call for approx 3/4 c shortening, 1/2 c butter and 16oz of cream cheese.

lupitag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lupitag Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 8:21pm
post #23 of 24

Hello,

I noticed you wrote that you use this cream chees frosting for decorating....I have used this recipe too and everyone seems to love it. But for decorating and edging out the cake with the viva napkin it can get a little tricky. Mine never ends up as smooth as when i use buttercream frosting. Is there a reason why? Am i not letting it dry enough. Also If i color the frosting will it hold up just the same? Because like i said everyone loves this frosting and i get request for nothing but this one all the time, and i would hate to stop using it. Its just it takes so long because i am having to go back and fix it where the napkin gets stuck. Please advise.

denetteb Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 9:19pm
post #24 of 24

If it isn't crusted yet, wait a little while longer until it is crusted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%