New Edible Jelly Gems

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 10 Jul 2014 , 11:44am by Jbay-girl

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 2 May 2012 , 8:26am
post #1 of 17

Somebody has probably already seen them, but I'm SO enthusiastic about them, so I had to share icon_smile.gif - they are perfect! I've never had much luck making isomalt ones. These are clear, no bubbles, crisp sharp edges, very lightweight.

Unfortunately only one size (10 mm), round, clear or pink were available. Price: £ 4 per 24 pcs. Not sure how they would behave once attached to the cake (ingredients: glycerine, gelatine, dextrose, invert sugar + additives), I suppose humidity would be an issue as with isomalt ones. Described as 'suitable for use on fondant and BC only'.

Here is the photo:
LL

16 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 2 May 2012 , 8:49am
post #2 of 17

They do stay clear and don't cloud over like the isomalt ones!! icon_biggrin.gif

Panel7124 Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:09am
post #3 of 17

Wow, what a great news, Relznik, thank you!!

Seems they are glazed (bees and carnauba wax, shellac), so maybe that helps. It doesn't sound yummy but they are probably non supposed to be eaten anyway, just be edible. I was thinking about making them using silicone or hard candy gem molds - just glycerine, gelatine, invert sugar and some gel colors maybe. Must try it.

Relznik Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:15am
post #4 of 17

An acquaintance of mine sells them. She gave me some to try... I've put them on some mini cakes that I've made, but I haven't tasted them yet! She said that they do taste a bit 'strange', but they are totally edible and that's the main thing!!

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/catherinescakes/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Panel7124 Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:26am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

An acquaintance of mine sells them. She gave me some to try... I've put them on some mini cakes that I've made, but I haven't tasted them yet! She said that they do taste a bit 'strange', but they are totally edible and that's the main thing!!

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/catherinescakes/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

You are so lucky to have an acquaintance who sells cakedeco stuff! icon_smile.gif I've got them from e-bay but from another UK seller. Do you have any photos how they look on the cake?

I'm looking at them thinking if I should taste one or not... icon_wink.gif

Relznik Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:27am
post #6 of 17

Hoping to finish off some mini cakes with them on later today, so will let you know when I upload pics. icon_smile.gif

Panel7124 Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:39am
post #7 of 17

Well, I have just a ladybug cake to make today, so it's probably not a case to use them (unless I make a white one with pink gem dots or eyes icon_rolleyes.gif ). I'll surely check your pictures later today, thanks a lot!!

Relznik Posted 12 May 2012 , 6:44am
post #8 of 17

I've FINALLY got around to photographing and posting the mini cakes!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2324060/bollywood-asian-mini-cakes

The gems were out of the packaging for a couple of weeks and have kept their clarity! I'm impressed with them (although I didn't taste any!)

Suzanne x

HiD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiD Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 3:08am
post #9 of 17

Relznik,

I was curious...did you attempt to make them yourself yet? I'd love to know the results.

Thanks!
Heidi

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 6:32am
post #10 of 17

Wow! I have just jumped on the isomalt gem train, hope these make it to me soon!

Relznik Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 7:14am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiD

Relznik,

I was curious...did you attempt to make them yourself yet? I'd love to know the results.

Thanks!
Heidi

I think it was the original poster who was going to make some isomalt ones.

I've tried with ordinary sugar, but not had much luck... tiny bubbles and the edges just weren't that sharp (I used the Squires Kitchen gem mould - http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=4123&parent=0 )

I've also made them from gumpaste, so although they weren't translucent, they did look OK:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1625384/1625385/childrens-birthday-cakes

And finally, I did make some coloured ones using sugar, but again, some of them went cloudy quite quickly...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2157059/treasure-chest-cake

Suzanne x

Panel7124 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you all for a reminder, I almost forgot I planned to try some gelatine gems!

This time I used agar-agar which doesn't smell so bad as gelatine (we all know what it's made of...) and can be boiled on the stove without using double boiler. It's awesome stuff and quite strong! 1/2 tsp of agar-agar equals to 6 gelatine sheets and gelifies 1/2 l of liquid. It's suitable for vegetarians as it's extracted from a kind of red algae, it's rich in minerals, has neutral taste and solidifies almost instantly. It's also stronger than gelatine and more restistant to humidity/liquids.

I used 1 tsp in 1/4 l of water (4x the recommended quantity, it seemed not enough but it would probably be fine), added 1 tsp of invert sugar and 1 tsp of glycerine, colored with gel color and let boil for 2 minutes. Then poured to some silicone molds I had on hand - could do a better job but just wanted to fill them quickly. In less than 5 minutes they were ready, still slightly wet but I had to take them out because kids wanted to eat them icon_lol.gif

I'd definitely add more invert sugar to make them more sweet, they were quite neutral taste-wise.

Here are some pictures:
LL

Panel7124 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 17

Another one
LL

Panel7124 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 17

I don't like this mold with fondant but with the agar mixture it was quite beautiful
LL

Dawn3667 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn3667 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:30pm
post #15 of 17

AI need to order these jelly gems for 150 cupcakes for my daughter's daddy & me dance & I don't know how to go about ordering them.I would love clear diamonds, light pink, light blue. & whatever else you could suggest in pastel colors. Can you please give me some info on what & how many to order again i'm making approx 150 cupcakes for very early Feb. Thank you in advance for your help!

Please do not post your contact details in the open forums. Mod2

Micheleclaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Micheleclaire Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 17

AHi

I am so glad you like the geldiamonds. I invented them and my company makes them for Culpitts.

They do come in many other sizes and colours. There are also fully faceted luxury diamonds and hearts.

They can be seen on our web site at:

Www.edible-by-design.co

We can also de bespoke colours, sizes and flavours.

Kind Regards

Michele Claire

Jbay-girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jbay-girl Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 11:44am
post #17 of 17

Coming into this convo a bit late, but I'd like to know what the consistency of the mixture should be when you pour it into the moulds? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%