Kopykake Edible Icing Sheets

Decorating By cab333 Updated 13 Apr 2014 , 3:15am by cazza1

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:50am
post #1 of 10

Uggggh......if its not one thing its another! LOL!

I finally received my beautiful canon printer...and after a minimal amount of hassel the correct inks were delivered to me as well. I fired her up this weekend, and the print quality is beautiful!

HOWEVER I am using Kopykake Edible Icing sheets, and having an immense amount of trouble removing the image from the backing on the sheet. Up until now, I have ordered my edible images from a supplier, so I am not aware of what product they used to print on. I know that anything I ordered always came off the backing very easily...no crumbling or tearing. The most I ever had to do was pop the image into the freezer for a few mins to peel the backing off, but that is not working with these kopykake sheets. Nor is folding it slightly over the edge of the table to losen it up.

Anyone out there use these sheets and have similar problems? Any trouble shooting type advice? I think I may need to try the Photofrost product to compare..............

9 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:59am
post #2 of 10

I use kopykake & the freezer trick works for me every time. I have used other brands and the Photofrost sheets are thicker, which doesn't work well for me since i usually use them on fondant.

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 10

Hmmmmm....I'm not sure what I am doing wrong then. Typically I can put the images into the freezer, and they become so firm and almost brittle that they separate on their own from the backing sheet. Is there anything else that you do in your routine?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 10

I used that brand of icing sheets for years. Then I stumbled on to Luck's sheets. TOTALLY different. With the Luck's brand sheets there's no need for the freezer. they just peel off in one piece. MUCH superior product!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 10

Photofrost is very similar to KK and our house brand. Lucks is better than the two at removing from the backing. I would suggest if your having problems, try our Premium Brand. It seems to have the largest range of being sensitive to humdity/dryness. Dont get me wrong, it is not perfect, but they seem to hold up the best. We sell all three types and that seems to be everyones favorite. It was funny, last night I got a call from someone who was using another brand and switched to the premium and was so excited, she sounded like a little kid who won the golden ticket from willy wonka!!! I think the fact that she kept eating them had her on a sugar buzz as well!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:25am
post #6 of 10

I have just used my LAST frosting sheet from KopyK. Will never use them again!

I take a small spatula and run it under the image itself to remove from the backing. It works well for me.

Here is the picture of my LAST KK frosting sheet!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2104267

HTH

Michael

icingimages Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 10

Mikel, I love your cakes, they are great. I dont remember did you purchase our premiums?

pattijam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattijam Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 5:53am
post #8 of 10

I had the same problem when I first started using these sheets. The key is to IMMEDIATELY after printing, hold sheet tight making sure to only hold edge of sheet and not image and on edge of counter with a left to right motion. rub sheet on edge several times , rotating sheet until intire edge has been done. You will see image start to pull away from backing. Just be careful to only hold to edges of sheet and not the image. Go all the way around image. When you have done this all the way around flip sheet over face down in your hand and the backing should lift off very easily now. Don't be afraid to use a little pressure when doing the rub. Hope this helps!

icingimages Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 2:53am
post #9 of 10

Or just try Icing Images Premium Icing Sheets that are known for their easy release and flexibility.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 3:15am
post #10 of 10

pattijam, thankyou.  I am not buying Kopykake sheets again but have half a packet that I don't want to throw away but they were driving me insane.  Your trick worked far better than anything else I have tried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%