The Frozen Batter Method Of Cupcakes Worked Great

Baking By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 28 Apr 2014 , 2:11am by Salemsmommy13

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 5:18am
post #91 of 97

My family did not make a side-by-side test. I 'm sure the stabilizers help the WASC. With the chemical reactions taking place in a scratch recipe, unless we had a way to flash freeze, the changes are going to start. I don't freeze any meals for the same reason. I can tell. Fresh meat also deteriorates, but the benefits of freezing outweigh the change in quality (butcher is 30 miles away). I use the Food Saver system. I cook as seriously as I bake, and I have never seen a case where freezing enhances the original product. Even fresh ice cream is not as good as it is out of the churn. The crystals formed in freezing alter the original the original composition, and not for the better.

My suggestion is to do the math to adjust each recipe to the exact amount needed. There is no waste. The downside to that is there are no extras for my husband.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:12pm
post #92 of 97

About a month ago I made a coconut cake using WASC. I put the left over batter in the freezer in a ziploc bag. This weekend, I poured the partially frozen batter into a 10" square 3" deep cake pan. My gosh, it took forever to bake @ 325. It did turn out great though. Lowering the temp and adding extra time seemed to make this frozen batter idea work very well. It was nice not having to start from the begining & have the mess to clean up! icon_smile.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:59am
post #93 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I use this same method to do my neopolitan cupcakes too!

I am still reading through the thread, so I am sorry if this is stated somewhere, but how full do you fill the liner with frozen batter?

1/2-2/3 full as normal? Or a bit fuller? I would imagine there would be slight gaps between the layers when they're frozen?

Thanks!

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 10:00am
post #94 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127 

My family did not make a side-by-side test. I 'm sure the stabilizers help the WASC. With the chemical reactions taking place in a scratch recipe, unless we had a way to flash freeze, the changes are going to start. I don't freeze any meals for the same reason. I can tell. Fresh meat also deteriorates, but the benefits of freezing outweigh the change in quality (butcher is 30 miles away). I use the Food Saver system. I cook as seriously as I bake, and I have never seen a case where freezing enhances the original product. Even fresh ice cream is not as good as it is out of the churn. The crystals formed in freezing alter the original the original composition, and not for the better.

My suggestion is to do the math to adjust each recipe to the exact amount needed. There is no waste. The downside to that is there are no extras for my husband.

I mix batter for cupcakes, pour them into the liners, and then freeze them. When I want cupcakes I take a couple out of the freezer, pop them in the oven while it's preheating, and then bake. I can either make a 4-cupcake batch of frosting, or cover them in preserves or powdered sugar. They taste great. They don't _exactly_ taste like they would have tasted if I mixed and baked them "fresh", but, they're a pleasure to eat.

They're a pleasure to eat and I didn't "have" to either eat a cake of the same flavor...or eat 24 (or more!) cupcakes of the same flavor in a row for desserts. Frankly, the variety in desserts is worth a reasonably subtle change in taste to just eat _one_ cupcake when I'm in the mood for it.

As far as things being improved by freezing...I prefer my chocolate pate to be frozen (instead of just chilled). And you're missing out if you've never had kakigori (a Japanese treat served over shaved ice) or sorbet. Granita (a Sicilian ice dessert) is specifically made to emphasize the size of the ice crystals formed and the resulting texture.

I cook _much more_ seriously than I bake, and I freeze things all the time. I don't freeze completed meals, but I freeze the components. Just like with meat, the benefits to freezing individual preparations outweighs the change in quality.

Tina2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina2002 Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:30am
post #95 of 97

I have a small cake shop and sell mini cupcakes everyday. At the beginning of the week, I make 5 or 6 cupcake flavors and leave the batters in the refrigerator. Every morning, I take them out and bake fresh cupcakes to sell in a day. I make all my cupcakes and cake from scratch. I leave the cupcake batter to the room temp before I put them in the oven. So far all cupcakes rise beautifully.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:11am
post #96 of 97

AFreezing makes the b/pwdr ....b/soda inert. Heat of the oven starts the process. My Mom use to do this freezing batter thing years & years ago. I'm just a hobby baker, so don't bake every week. So I've always froze my leftover batter. I thaw slightly when using in my cake pans, just so I know the full volume.

Salemsmommy13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Salemsmommy13 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 2:11am
post #97 of 97

A:D this is awesome I can't wait to try this as I don't have a lot of time on my hands this can really speed up the process for me tysm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%