The Cake Bible!!!

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 18 Apr 2014 , 8:24pm by morganchampagne

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 3:11am
post #61 of 71

AYes, God! In Houston! It's always humid here. It's warming up now and it's already starting to affect my modeling chocolate

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 10:52am
post #62 of 71

AI doubt thqt it does unless you sit the cakes outside in the humidity. Modeling chocolate definitely does know when it's hot outside, though, I can't use it in the summer for most things. Even if it's cool inside in the air conditioning the chocolate senses heat outside and misbehaves.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 10:58am
post #63 of 71

AIt is humid in my house!!! We run the sir conditioner February thru November!!! Lol

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 1:10pm
post #64 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Yes, God! In Houston! It's always humid here. It's warming up now and it's already starting to affect my modeling chocolate

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I doubt thqt it does unless you sit the cakes outside in the humidity. Modeling chocolate definitely does know when it's hot outside, though, I can't use it in the summer for most things. Even if it's cool inside in the air conditioning the chocolate senses heat outside and misbehaves.

I recently saw a post - FB, maybe? - where a cake class was going on somewhere in SE Asia.  Thailand?  Something.  ANYWAY, it was about modeling chocolate and humidity and someone had tweaked the recipe to be OK in the humidity that is REALLY bad there.  Shoulda tagged it then!

Since I OBVIOUSLY know none of the deets, I will try to find it and post.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 1:43pm
post #65 of 71
Kaysie Lackey via FB:  Recipe for high humidity (this was for a class she taught in Malaysia and she was worried about the behavior of the modeling chocolate).  It was also noted in the end of the post that it even worked without air conditioning.

Kaysie Lackey Hey Guys! The recipe is 1000g white chocolate (23-28%) to 500g glucose, plus 2 tsp of water. The water amount depends on your glucose (in Penang it was really REALLY thick, so it was 2 T instead of tsp). You must melt the chocolate in a double boiler, and in the very warm glucose mixture, and stir to combine completely over the heat (sorry... no microwaves). Turn it out on a lined sheet pan and let set overnight. This is based on Richard Festen's method of making modeling chocolate that you can find on his Chocolate Stripes DVD, but tweeked by me to work in countries where candy melts and corn syrup are hard to find.
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 2:28pm
post #66 of 71

nancy, most of rose's cake recipes in tcb are commonly known for not being user friendly--it's not just you--

i think her theories and her ability to write a reasonably easy to follow recipe are less than successful--her fillings and frostings are lauded far and wide--while her chocolate oblivion flourless cake is brilliant--i'd suggest you look elsewhere for cake recipes

best to you

morganchampagne Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 3:02pm
post #67 of 71

A

Original message sent by BeesKnees578

Kaysie Lackey via FB:  Recipe for high humidity (this was for a class she taught in Malaysia and she was worried about the behavior of the modeling chocolate).  It was also noted in the end of the post that it even worked without air conditioning.   [URL=https://www.facebook.com/kaysie.lackey]Kaysie Lackey[/URL] Hey Guys! The recipe is 1000g white chocolate (23-28%) to 500g glucose, plus 2 tsp of water. The water amount depends on your glucose (in Penang it was really REALLY thick, so it was 2 T instead of tsp). You must melt the chocolate in a double boiler, and in the very warm glucose mixture, and stir to combine completely over the heat (sorry... no microwaves). Turn it out on a lined sheet pan and let set overnight. This is based on [URL=https://www.facebook.com/richard.festen]Richard Festen[/URL]'s method of making modeling chocolate that you can find on his Chocolate Stripes DVD, but tweeked by me to work in countries where candy melts and corn syrup are hard to find.

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/bailey.bowyer08][IMG]https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hprofile-frc3/l/t1.0-1/p32x32/10003972_10152336345838385_1219018539_t.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:43pm
post #68 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

nancy, most of rose's cake recipes in tcb are commonly known for not being user friendly--it's not just you--

i think her theories and her ability to write a reasonably easy to follow recipe are less than successful--her fillings and frostings are lauded far and wide--while her chocolate oblivion flourless cake is brilliant--i'd suggest you look elsewhere for cake recipes

best to you

I donated my 'Cake Bible' to the local library.  I've visited the book from time to time, but have found that K8memphis is perfectly correct in her comment here.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 1:38am
post #69 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

I donated my 'Cake Bible' to the local library.  I've visited the book from time to time, but have found that K8memphis is perfectly correct in her comment here.

I saw the prices for the books. I didn't think of checking my local library! Great Idea! :D And if the recipes are technical, I'll just get my engineering husband to decipher them for me, lols :top hat:. He likes those kinds of recipes, go figure.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 2:12am
post #70 of 71

Thanks!! The cake I did was horrible!!! So dry!! I gave it to my chickens. They liked it.

Nancy

morganchampagne Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 8:24pm
post #71 of 71

AI was baking this yellow cake and just had a thought! Wondering if those who don't like the cake did these two things!

1) Did NOT weigh ingredients 2) Used SALTED butter instead UNSALTED 3) Did NOT use room temp ingredients

That ended up being 3, but these are things I have done that have affected texture in the past

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%