Cookie Icing

Baking By mzjohnson Updated 23 Jul 2014 , 12:45am by MBalaska

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #31 of 52

If you have to add a lot of powdered sugar and the icing starts tasting too sugary, you can add a pinch of salt -- it really can help!

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #32 of 52

Thanks for the links!! I'm still torn between which icing I should use. I was thinking about adding corn syrup to Antonia74 RI since I have the meringue powder already. Also if I should outline or not to outline. I'm afraid of messing up. Plus I've piped in black before with RI and when people ate the cookies, their mouths turned black. Did that happen to anyone else? How can I prevent this?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #33 of 52

The only downside with glace is what i said above about getting it thick enough to pipe decorations (like shell or star borders, etc). I really like the taste and look of glace so much better too.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet56pooh

GeminiRJ, how many cookies does one batch of your icing covers? I have 200 4" cookies to decorate. How many batches should I make? TIA!!

I just finished icing (20) 3" square cookies, and I had icing left over (but not much!). The cookies I did are the ones I posted in the "May Cookie of the Month" thread...beach themed. It's hard to determine exactly how much you'll need, as so much depends on how many colors you'll be mixing, and how good you are at guessing how much of the icing to tint for each color. The good thing about this recipe is that if you keep the proportions the same (1 tablespoon corn syrup and milk to every cup of powdered sugar), you can mix up larger or smaller amounts with ease. For 200 cookies, you'll need LOTS of icing!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #35 of 52

MZjohnson, fondant can really be improved a lot if you add flavorings to it. My favorites are almond and orange extract combined. Citrus flavors work especially well. And "icing" cookies with fondant is the easiest thing ever: you roll out the fondant and cut it with the same cutter as the cookie, moisten it with tylose glue, gumpaste glue, piping gel or whatever your heart desires and put it on top of the cookie before adding the details. You can also roll it out on an impression mat for an interesting texture. It's not my favorite tasting icing, but it's the one I like to decorate with the most!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

MZjohnson, fondant can really be improved a lot if you add flavorings to it. My favorites are almond and orange extract combined. Citrus flavors work especially well. And "icing" cookies with fondant is the easiest thing ever: you roll out the fondant and cut it with the same cutter as the cookie, moisten it with tylose glue, gumpaste glue, piping gel or whatever your heart desires and put it on top of the cookie before adding the details. You can also roll it out on an for an interesting texture. It's not my favorite tasting icing, but it's the one I like to decorate with the most!

I agree that fondant on sugar cookies is awesome. I like to use the same cutter on the fondant like you said, then layer them with wax paper on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer for a few minutes to make them easier to handle while I bake the cookies. Then, take the cookies out of the oven and put the fondant on them while they're still fairly warm. The fondat will get a bit soft, then when it cools, it's stuck on there like cement! You won't have any trouble with it moving, etc. It's awesome!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:42am
post #37 of 52

I like that idea, Melvira! I'm going to try that next time I decorate with fondant.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:55am
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

I use RI exclusively and I have people tell me how much they love the icing all the time.

You know, it's SO funny... people who like the RI on sugar cookies REALLY love it. I mean, they go nuts for it. When it's made like the friend I mentioned earlier does it, it does taste almost like candy or something, and it's really good. But any other that I've had just has too much of a metallic taste. It's the meringue powder, I know that much. It just gives it this twangy taste that I'm not fond of. I know some people LOVE it though. And obviously it's better with a little flavoring in it to help mask that twanginess. Is that even a word? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Yeah - it really amazes me how different people's tastes are. I find that every time I try a new recipe....things I think are awful, other people really love!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I use a glace icing for all my cookies. It dries firm to the touch but stays soft underneath. It works great for bagging. This is the recipe I use:

3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons skim milk (or other type milk, or water)
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla or almond extract (optional)
15 drops brite white food color (optional) I use Americolor brand

Mix the first four ingredients until well blended. (I just use a mediumsize bowl and a spoon). You will want the icing to be the consistency of white school glue. To thin, add more corn syrup. To thicken, add more powdered sugar. If it is really thick, add equal amounts of milk and corn syrup. Add the brite white and mix well. (The brite white seems to help prevent the icing from getting cloudy and spotty when it dries). Divide and color.

Note: leftover icing will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

Is this a flooding consistency?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #40 of 52

thanks for all the tips - i've not had much luck decorating cookies but i have a couple of projects i want to try and this glace sounds like it will at least taste good even if my decorations aren't up to par!

Brooke420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke420 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #41 of 52

I absolutely LOVE the glace. That is all I use now. It's like a blank canvas when it dries. I love to use edible markers on it. I've also painted on it with gel food color and vodka. Makes the cookies look like they been painted with water colors. I tried using the thickened glace to decorate, but I didn't have much luck. Now I just mix up a small batch of royal to do outlines and such. I used it with edible images for the first time this weekend and it was fantastic. I Just put the image on while the icing was wet.
I did over 200 cookies this weekend (150 edible image, 60 glace with royal outlines). I think I made 2 1/2 batches of icing. This is the recipe that I use (I'm sure I got it from Gemini or someone else on CC)

8 cups Powdered sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup water
Bright white food coloring
flavoring of your choice.

I just throw it all together in a bowl and mix it with a whisk. To remove any lumps I pour it through a mesh strainer set a top of the container I'm keeping it in. I usually make it a day in advance so the air bubbles can rise to the top.

I tried to attach a photo of my "painted cookies", but it was too big. I will post it in my gallery if you'd like to see it.
Hope that helps,
Brooke

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #42 of 52

Ooooh, I'm glad to hear the glace works well with edible markers. I LOVE using those! Especially when I'm doing a decorating party with kids. Much cleaner and easier than using piping bags of icing. thumbs_up.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #43 of 52

i'm huge glace fan too icon_smile.gif.
i use it for outline, detail, and flooding....but it just won't do shells, stars, or stand up leaves no matter how much i wish it would, lol. i can live with that trade-off for the flavor and "bite-ability" over RI.

the other plus to glace is that it isn't totally matte when it dries. i love the bit of shine i get with glace.

diane

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I use a glace icing for all my cookies. It dries firm to the touch but stays soft underneath. It works great for bagging. This is the recipe I use:

3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons skim milk (or other type milk, or water)
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla or almond extract (optional)
15 drops brite white food color (optional) I use Americolor brand

Mix the first four ingredients until well blended. (I just use a mediumsize bowl and a spoon). You will want the icing to be the consistency of white school glue. To thin, add more corn syrup. To thicken, add more powdered sugar. If it is really thick, add equal amounts of milk and corn syrup. Add the brite white and mix well. (The brite white seems to help prevent the icing from getting cloudy and spotty when it dries). Divide and color.

Note: leftover icing will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

Is this a flooding consistency?

For the most part, I'd have to say yes. It can be whatever consistency you want it to be by adding more powdered sugar or corn syrup. I use only one consistency for both the initial outlining and flooding.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 7:56am
post #45 of 52

Quote:

I do all my outlining and detail work with this icing, yes. You simply have to add enough powdered sugar to get the icing to the consistency of peanut butter.

GeminiRJ: it's halloween and I had to make some cookies so I followed your recipe, and added powdered sugar to get about a 22 second count.  Mine has always been too thin. The added brite white food coloring did make the colors look better.

My piping with glace is poor, so I did something different. I usually squeeze the bag with my writing hand and guide with my other. I decided to do it the opposite & Guide and write with my good hand.

Still have a long way to go, but this turned out better for me. Thanks for your beautiful cookie photos and tips.  Your cookies are the bomb!!!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 5:43pm
post #46 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

GeminiRJ: it's halloween and I had to make some cookies so I followed your recipe, and added powdered sugar to get about a 22 second count.  Mine has always been too thin. The added brite white food coloring did make the colors look better.

My piping with glace is poor, so I did something different. I usually squeeze the bag with my writing hand and guide with my other. I decided to do it the opposite & Guide and write with my good hand.

Still have a long way to go, but this turned out better for me. Thanks for your beautiful cookie photos and tips.  Your cookies are the bomb!!!!!

Thank you for the wonderful compliment on my cookies! I spend about as much time outlining as I do the actual flooding, so I've had lots of practice outlining! The hard part for me is trying to put into words what I've learned about working with glace. Did you post photos of your cookies??????

Goobergirl1601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goobergirl1601 Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 3:19pm
post #47 of 52

AJust a quick question. I love this glaze recipe. I use it all the time.

My question is......I am making an order for someone, the cookies are all baked and ready to decorate. She just emailed and asked me to wait until next week! Can I go ahead and decorate them before freezing them? Will the colors run into each other when they thaw?

I appreciate your help. I had planned my schedule to do them this weekend. Sigh........

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Dec 2013 , 3:22am
post #48 of 52

A[quote name="Goobergirl1601" url="/t/681224/cookie-icing/45#post_7470678"]Just a quick question. I love this glaze recipe. I use it all the time.

My question is......I am making an order for someone, the cookies are all baked and ready to decorate. She just emailed and asked me to wait until next week! Can I go ahead and decorate them before freezing them? Will the colors run into each other when they thaw?

I appreciate your help. I had planned my schedule to do them this weekend. Sigh........[/quote

I would like to know tthis well. Royal icing gets all blotchy when you freeze it so I always just freeze the naked cookies but would love to be able to decorate and freeze.

GeminiRJ Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:40pm
post #49 of 52

Glaze does not like to get cold! I would not freeze decorated cookies iced in glaze, as the finish has a high probability of getting splotchy.

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:03pm
post #50 of 52

AJust tried this recipe and Iove it! I've never been a big fan of the RI once it dried but this doesn't try too hard.

MBalaska Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:07pm
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettia 

Just tried this recipe and Iove it!
I've never been a big fan of the RI once it dried but this doesn't try too hard.

corn syrup glace is the most delicious tasting icing!  Thanks to GeminiRJ and her tips I learned how to improve my detailing in the glace icing.

I can't thank her enough!!  

MBalaska Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 12:45am
post #52 of 52

The one nice thing about this icing is that you can actually just spatula it on a cookie, for when your not being to fancy pants, and don't really worry about perfection  (which is quite often for me):roll:

For example these cookies were a gift for a baby shower ( I love my gift genie - gives me something fun to do.)  I didn't waste time outlining the cookies,  just spread them to the edge.  The girl that they were for, ate one immediately, then went and hid half of them to save for later.  Ok..........it's her party.!!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3266893/a/69/nfsc-with-corn-syrup-glaze/flat/1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%