Stacking Cakes With Styrafoam Spacers?

Decorating By vanki Updated 15 Apr 2014 , 3:33am by mareg

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a 3-tier wedding cake with styrafoam spacers in between cake tiers. This is my first time using foam spacers and i don't want the cake to tip over. Could someone tell me how they have handled this type of cake? How should i stack these layers? Should i insert a long dowel pin from the top to bottom to secure it? And is it better to transport it fully assembled or assemble it on site?

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

11 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 12

Always do 1 dowel down and through the middle of all of your tiers. The dowels you do in each tier only keep the cake from smooshing the one below it. The dowel through the middle of all of your tiers will keep them from slipping off of eachother.

Not sure about anything specific to your foam question though. Sorry and good luck!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:15am
post #3 of 12

I did one of these. I doweled the cake as normal (dowels inside the cake tosupport the upper tier).

I put a cardboard under the styrofoam just to help insure the dowels wouldn't go thru the styrofoam (might have been overkill, but it was my first one, ya know? icon_rolleyes.gif )

I assembled the cake on-site. Placed the styrofoam on the bottom tier, then placed the middle tier on the styro, etc. I put a small dollop of BC icing on top of the styrofoam just as a little added assurance to hold the middle and top tiers in place.

Easy Peasy!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 12

I put pillars and a plate into the bottom cake, then set the foam circle directly on top of the plastic plate (I use sps), Then put the next cake directly on the foam circle, then another plate w/ dowels into that second cake, foam on top of the plate, and the top cake. I didn't use any central dowels, gravity held everything in place nicely.
LL

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 12

You all make it sound so easy! Thanks for all the tips. Right now structure and transportation are always such a big concern with all my cakes. Maybe it becomes easier with practice.

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 12

Are the styrofoam spacers just dummy cakes?

lovinlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinlayers Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 12

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cake+dummy&x=0&y=0

If you search cake dummy on amazon you will see stryo-foam rounds. They are referred to as Dummy Cakes, Fake Cakes, etc.

TAMMYCAKESTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TAMMYCAKESTX Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 12

Does anyone know where I can get round dummies with a height of 2"?
I want spacers, but only 2" and not 3".

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 3:22am
post #9 of 12

I get them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the floral section. I stack these types of cakes onsite.

jasmin1432 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasmin1432 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 12

Did you put a dowel down the center of the entire cake?

Linda2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2010 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:49am
post #11 of 12

what is sps?

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 3:33am
post #12 of 12

AGood to know. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%