How Can I Doctor A Chocolate Box Cake Mix??

Baking By Mug-a-Bug Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 2:22am by chassidyg

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 18

I love my box mixes; add a few extras and nobody suspects I dumped in a box mix. I don't really love how my chocolate cakes have turned out. Any tips on doctoring up a chocolate cake mix? I want it to be rich, moist, and delicious!! TIA! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 18

I use the WASC as a base and sub cold brewed coffee instead of water. I need to search for the recipe for you.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 18

I add 1 egg, 1 cup flour. 1 cup sugar, 1 cup prepared pudding of a coordinating flavor to the box mix. I am a hobby decorator but everyone that has had any of the cakes and cupcakes I made that way loves it.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 18

I use Macsmom ' s chocolate recipe which is a doctored cake box recipe. Everyone LOVES it!
Here is a list of a bunch of fantastic doctored recipes!
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

HTH!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 18

this is super easy and makes a chocolately, moist, dense cake. i use triple chocolate fudge box mix (believe it is by BC). ignore directions on box and use the following ingredients/measurements instead:

1 triple chocolate fudge cake mix
1/2 c oil
1/2 c water (minus 2 tablespoons)
1 instant coffe pack (that is used to make one cup of instant coffee) disolved in 2 TBS of hot water
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1 box chocolate fudge instant pudding

chocolate chips if desired (i never have had to so far - the mix does have some mini ones already in it).

mix box mix with water, oil, coffee and eggs till incorporated, then add sour cream. mix will be REALLY thick...almost like a pudding! also, it makes a bit more batter THAN if you were to just follow the directions on the box. i bake a 325 and the baking time vary based on your oven and your pan size. it will def take longer to bake than it says on the box b/c it is such a thick batter. I alsways just keep checkiing it till the toothbpick comes out 'almost' clean. the coffee brings out the chocolate flavor (doesnt taste like coffee) and it is always really moist. good cake for stacking and carving too b/c it is firm. i use this for cupcakes too - scoop of batter, whole oreo cookie, scoop of batter on top. yum. u could probably add crushed oreos to the batter too. mmm.

ddaigle Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the link Lisa! that Amaretto Divine sounds so good! Can't to try that one!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 18

Anyone add chocolate chips??

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 18

1 box DH chocolate cake mix (follow box directions)
1 box DH brownie mix (follow box directions)
2 cups sour cream

mix all together and bake at 325 for 35 minutes then test for doneness

I get a lot of request from family for this.

ddaigle Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 18

WOW Tatorchip! That sounds awesome!!! Love me some brownies!!!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

WOW Tatorchip! That sounds awesome!!! Love me some brownies!!!

me too, yeah icon_lol.gif

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaa1996

I use Macsmom ' s chocolate recipe which is a doctored cake box recipe. Everyone LOVES it!
Here is a list of a bunch of fantastic doctored recipes!
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

HTH!

I use this recipe too and have had many requests for it. I have tried other chocolate ones but this is the only one I have really enjoyed and confident in serving.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 18

I like to add 1/8tsp salt, 2tsp vanilla, 2TBSP brown sugar and 2TBSP of Mayo to a chocolate cake mix.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 18

I feel like a jerk that I don't know who to credit for this cake since I saved it to my computer rather than as a favorite here on cc, but this recipe comes from this site, and it is hands down the best chocolate cake I have ever made. Moist, dense, rich..rave reviews every time. Sorry again that I don't remember whose creation it is.

Blue Ribbon Moist and Fudgey Chocolate Cake

1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1 cup chocolate syrup - I use Hershey's Dark in the squeezable bottle, but any will do
1 package (3.9 ounces) chocolate instant pudding mix
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 18

This is the chocolate cake mix I use when I use a box. It's from the Cake Mix Doctor book and I've had really great feedback on this one. Sometimes I omit the chocolate chips and I bake this in two 8" or 9" square or round pans - either works.

Darn Good Chocolate Cake

1 pkg. plain devil's food or dark chocolate fudge cake mix
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) chocolate instant pudding mix
4 large eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. vegetable oil (canola, corn, safflower, soybean or sunflower)
1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

Place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, warm water and oil in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2-3 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, making sure they are well distributed throughout the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.

Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and just starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 45-50 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto the rack to cool completely, 20 minutes more. Or invert it onto a serving platter to slice and serve while still warm.

JulieCromie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieCromie Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 3:34pm
post #15 of 18

Hi there!  I am responding to this string about 5 years later, so I'm hoping that you are still around!  :o)

When I read your instructions, I am not seeing where you put the pudding in.  Do you put it in at the same time as the cake mix?  I know it may seem a silly question, but I just wanted to know in case I do something incorrectly and end up in a mess!

Thanks so much! :o)

kaylouann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylouann Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:31am
post #16 of 18

AI follow the directions on the back except substitute buttermilk for the water and add an extra egg. I get lots of compliments. One guy even said they were eating leftover cake for over a week and even the very last piece was still perfect and delicious, not dry.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 1:59am
post #17 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieCromie 

Hi there!  I am responding to this string about 5 years later, so I'm hoping that you are still around!  :o)

When I read your instructions, I am not seeing where you put the pudding in.  Do you put it in at the same time as the cake mix?  I know it may seem a silly question, but I just wanted to know in case I do something incorrectly and end up in a mess!

Thanks so much! :o)

Add the DRY pudding mix mix (with nothing added) to your DRY cake mix, then add the other ingredients.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 2:22am
post #18 of 18

I add a box of instant pudding mix and 1 extra egg :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%