Servings In Wilton Ball Pan

Decorating By brogi2baker Updated 23 Jul 2014 , 6:33pm by Dianella

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #1 of 12

I have a request for a ball themed cake. I am going to use the wilton ball pan, but need to know how many servings it provides. Has anyone made this before that can help? It was not in the directions, Thanks!

11 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:07am
post #2 of 12

The ball pan uses the same amount of batter as a 2-layer 8" cake, so I would go with that serving chart. According to Wilton an 8" round serves 24 - but that is wedding-sized slices. I guarantee you can get at least 16 healthy-sized servings out of it. I can see where 24 might be possible but it's a stretch.

I thought the ball was kind of small; I was amazed the batter actually fit into it, but it does!

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:15am
post #3 of 12

I was shocked how small the silly thing was, I was expecting it to be huge. What a pain serving those ball cakes though. Anybody got any hints!

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:17am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

What a pain serving those ball cakes though. Anybody got any hints!

i say just dig into it!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 12

I just cut it lengthwise like the way you cut a normal party or wedding cake (long strips, then cut each strip into the pieces...a' la indydebi's guide), starting at the end, but I admit the end piece was all--and I do mean ALL--icing. I think wedge-style makes for more uniformly iced pieces. Just make sure your cake recipe is sturdy. I had a nut cake that was rather crumbly...total PITA to cut; wedge-style never would have worked out.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 12

I know the ball pan seems so small! That is why I was scared to go with the serving size for the batter in it. Thanks for the help! I didnt want to make it for my customer then be short cake for her party.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 12

Remember fellow cake bakers;
you can bake any size ball with rounded metal or glass mixing bowls.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 12

Not many... it's not all that big.

Jen icon_smile.gif

j1handal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j1handal Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 12

I definatley found it easier to cut and serve this cake evenly when a cake board is placed between the two cakes. Then removed to cut the second layer. As far as servings, I usally get nice slices, about 14.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 12

I'd say about 12-15 servings.

Mamabakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamabakes3 Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:07am
post #11 of 12

A

Original message sent by j1handal

I definatley found it easier to cut and serve this cake evenly when a cake board is placed between the two cakes. Then removed to cut the second layer. As far as servings, I usally get nice slices, about 14.

Would you use two cake boards back to back or just one?

Dianella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dianella Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 12

AHi! I want to know if the amount of servings are for the whole cake or just for half of the ball? The pan that i'm using is the one of 8,75in for diameter.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%