imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 7:38pm
post #121 of 126

I think this is the correct link.

http://cakecentral.com/a/michele-fosters-fondant

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 8:14pm
post #122 of 126

Yes, that is the recipe that I have. I forgot to mention that the first time I did it as stated in the recipe (2 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. glycerin). Then somewhere on here I came across the version with 3 Tbsp. each butter and glycerine and did that on the second batch. For try 3 I am doing the 2 Tbsp. version since that is what she states is correct and I'm just going to make sure that a) my cream isn't too cold and b) that I have plenty of time to just let the hot mixture cool on its own without having to resort to a water bath. The humidity here (south Louisiana) probably doesn't help matters, but I'll check the weather before making a batch.

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 6:29pm
post #123 of 126

AThank you very much for the recipe and extra info. Before adding all the powdered sugar my mixer began to smoke and stopped working. It's working fine now, but does that mean I added too much sugar? It's winter and the air is really dry so maybe it didn't need the full amount of sugar? I finished kneading by hand and it seemed fine but when I went to use it it seemed both sticky and dry. I played with it adding powdered sugar and glycerin but I don't think I ever got it right. Ultimately, I had to mix it with white Satin Ice because it took the color really well so it came out a little too dark. Worked great when I used it but I am anxious to try again using only the mmf.

My questions are, how do I know when to stop adding sugar? Can this recipe be multiplied or is that going to put too much strain on the mixer? Also, since this could be rolled out very thin, do you recommend using the same amounts as listed on the wilton fondant coverage chart or do you use less? Thanks in advance for your help.

bbibeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbibeau Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 7:58pm
post #124 of 126

I wanted to use your recipe for my brother's wedding cake. However, I wanted to see how big of a cake will one batch cover? My bottom tier will be 18", middle 14" and top 10". I have the added issue of I will be out of town when I have to assemble and decorate so I need to plan and make everything a few days ahead of time. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 10:26pm
post #125 of 126

ADang.. a ten inch TOP tier? Really?

Lonemountain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lonemountain Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 7:45pm
post #126 of 126

I made a batch last night and weighed it to see how many ounces it was.  It came out to 71 ounces (I used almost all 4 lbs of sugar in the batch.  I think there was about 1 cup left in the bag.  Wilton has a chart to use as a reference for fondant amounts (although they must roll their fondant a LOT thicker than mine because I always seem to use just a little more than half of what they recommend.)  I can easily cover an 8 and 6 inch cake with leftover fondant. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%