Rice Krispy Treats And Fondant

Decorating By georgiapuddinpie Updated 30 Dec 2016 , 12:52am by jalibebakes

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #61 of 85

Does anyone know if you have to change the amount of rice krispies if you crush them first? It just seems like if you crush them, you'll reduce the volume by a good bit (those things are mostly air!), so I wondered if you need to add more cereal to the melted m'mallows to get the right consistency. TIA!

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #62 of 85

How thick is everyone rolling out the fondant?

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #63 of 85

I'm also interested in knowing if I need to adjust the amount of rice krispies if I crush them before mixing with the marshmellow. I've not used RKT before and am really wanting to use them on my next cake.

Sandy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy28 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #64 of 85

How thin do you roll the fondant/gum paste? Also how do you keep the fondant from drying and cracking while your putting it on the RKT's?

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:28pm
post #65 of 85

^I was wondering about the same thing. I'm new at this and want to do a small rocket ship with RKT and keep the details. I've seen photos of RKT figures covered in fondant and they are immaculate! How do you make the fondant nice and smooth like that? Can we use poured fondant on RKT?

Sinful75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sinful75 Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 1:24am
post #66 of 85

This topic is why I love cake decorating.... its nice to find people today who are happy to share knowledge, help others and make sure a skill is not lost
icon_biggrin.gif

cakincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakincrazy Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 2:00am
post #67 of 85

I have with some of my projects used a serated knife to carve off some of the bumps... It works ok . Have never tried candy melts. I have to do a wine bottle and barrel soon so think I will try that. Do you just melt them and brush them on? Should I do a few coats? Thanks a bunch !

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 2:09am
post #68 of 85

Tried the melted cany melts once. I brushed them on and after that every time I touched the sculpture I wound up with my hands full of melted candy melts. Now I use candy clay as my first coating. I can get it perfectly smooth with just the heat from my hands, but without getting my hands all sticky and leaving candy traces on everything I touch.

Vanessa7 Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 11:07am
post #69 of 85

I've used rice krispie treats a lot since my original post. This is the way I do it, maybe others have a better way but it has worked for me. Measure the rice krispies out first, crunch them, and then add the marshmellow. I cover mine with buttercream or candy clay to smooth out the bumpy edges. Leave the fondant a little thicker than normal so it gives you a smoother finish. HTH. icon_smile.gif

cakincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakincrazy Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 1:15pm
post #70 of 85

Once you crush the rice krispies do you add less marshmallows? I have always just kind of crushed them as I mix the marshmallows in, but I think I want to try crushing them first.

Vanessa7 Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 4:58pm
post #71 of 85

Add the same amount of marshmallows as you would normally would. The first time I did it this way I measured them after crushing - big mistake. The RKT was way to dry.

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 10:55am
post #72 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontecakes 

For Aussies, be aware that here rice krispies are sold as Kellogs LCM's, and they are really easy to squish and mold/shape. icon_smile.gif

I am an aussie :-) When you say LCM, do you mean the small bars? If need a lot, the bars would be expensive to use. IS using rice bubbles according to a recipe to make kristpie treats the same thing? After seeing Cake Boss Buddy uses these on TV, I'd love to try it too.

Bodark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bodark Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 11:07am
post #73 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizuodangao 

I am an aussie :-) When you say LCM, do you mean the small bars? If need a lot, the bars would be expensive to use. IS using rice bubbles according to a recipe to make kristpie treats the same thing? After seeing Cake Boss Buddy uses these on TV, I'd love to try it too.

Aussie here as well - I have the same question. Would there be a recipe for combining Rice Bubbles with marshmallows? This may work out a lot cheaper.

MandysSnacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandysSnacks Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 8:02pm
post #74 of 85

To make my homemade rice crispy treats i melt 1/4 tbsp of butter with 10oz bag of marshmellows.. one jar of the marshmellow fluff is the same... once smoothed together.. i add 6cups of rice crispy treats a little at a time..  When making figures..i usually crush the treats first.  I work with it while its still a little warm coating my hands in butter or crisco.  I like to use butter though.

MandysSnacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandysSnacks Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 8:03pm
post #75 of 85

you can always just add more marshmellow

bethugolini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethugolini Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 3:10pm
post #76 of 85

AOMG....your cakes are amazing.....I'am thinking you are a artist !!!

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 2:48pm
post #77 of 85

AI think way too much! I am donating an Easter cake and a cake to a pitbull rescue for their fundraiser day. If I was going to make a bunny with big floppy ears, or pups like on the first page, do I make the whole thing, ears and all, out of RK treats, or just the body and add the ears, etc. with fondant or modeling chocolate? Thanks, Nancy

williern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
williern Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 7:01pm
post #78 of 85

AAre you calling modeling chocolate ~~~ chocolate clay??

Katarina11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katarina11 Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 5:43pm
post #79 of 85

Hi there,

I am making a cake and covering it if mmf.  On top of the cake will be a figurine made out of RKT. I want to cover the rkt figurine with modelling chocolate made out of candy melts.

I want to to make this ahead of time and freeze the whole thing.  My question is, how will the modelling chocolate and mmf hold up if frozen for a week and a half?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

bethugolini Posted 27 Dec 2016 , 2:30pm
post #80 of 85

Hi Kate, 

I'am not sure I've never tried to freeze before, but I have made figures like that before, two weeks ahead of time, I just let them sit out at room temperature and they are fine.

I would be afraid that after freezing them ,that when they came down to room temperature that they would get moisture on them & the colors might run.

bethugolini Posted 27 Dec 2016 , 2:30pm
post #81 of 85

Hi Kate, 

I'am not sure I've never tried to freeze before, but I have made figures like that before, two weeks ahead of time, I just let them sit out at room temperature and they are fine.

I would be afraid that after freezing them ,that when they came down to room temperature that they would get moisture on them & the colors might run.

bethugolini Posted 27 Dec 2016 , 2:32pm
post #82 of 85

Hi Kate, 

inezc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inezc Posted 28 Dec 2016 , 5:30am
post #83 of 85

Thanks for sharing. I will try this out.

Katarina11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katarina11 Posted 28 Dec 2016 , 3:55pm
post #84 of 85

Here is how it turned out.  Everything is edible except for the handle of the plunger :)

[postimage id="6178" thumb="900"]

jalibebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jalibebakes Posted 30 Dec 2016 , 12:52am
post #85 of 85

That looks good! Where you able to freeze figurine after all?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%