Custard Filling

Baking By Ladybug6509 Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 2:37pm by pursuing_perfection

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 17

I have a client who is asking for a custard filling in her daughter's wedding cake in March. At first I assummed she meant a bavarian cream filling but no, she says it is custard. Does anyone have a great vanilla custard recipe?

16 replies
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 17

Hang ten!! on my way to fetch my recipe book!!

I make a custard cake that everyone loves, so I'll be back shortly.......

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 17

icon_smile.gif Italian recipe:
Sugar: 4 oz
Cornstarch: 1.5 oz
Milk: 18 oz
Eggs: 3 egg yolks
Vanilla Extract: 1 Tbsp

Beat the egg yolks with sugar , cornstarch and vanilla.
Add milk to the mixture gradually to avoid lumps.
Pour custard in a saucepan and heat gently, beating continuously until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 3-4 minutes.
Remove from the heat.
Pour in a large bowl or shallow dish and set aside to cool.
If lumps form , just beat with a whisker .
This is what I used for all my cakes ( you can add cocoa powder, expresso powder, hazelnut paste, lemon zest , etc... if you want another flavor, and always use vanilla)

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 17

This is a recipe I got from Cooks.com and it's great with the WASC cake.
Be sure to use a good name brand pudding. I tried to save costs and used a generic and it didn't turn out as good.

1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 C milk
1/2 C whipping cream
1 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp almond extract
Beat all ingredients until thickened.

Charmaine49 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 17

So, here is my recipe:-

2 cups milk )
100ml Custard powder ) Microwave and let cool slightly

ADD: 5ml salt )
120g Butter )
1 cup sugar )
1 tsp vanilla Essence ) Mix and add to cooled custard.

I torte my 2 cakes and put filling between and then also put on top
of the cake, so I have 4 layers of cake with filling in.
As it stands it sets quite solid.

Hope this helps!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 17

Charmaine, what would custard powder be in the USA. Is that like cornstarch?

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 17

In Italy we make the custard from scratch. It is an easy and tasty recipe, with simple ingredients. Why using powder?

Charmaine49 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 17

Custard Powder
Custard Powder

Custard Powder
© Denzil Green
Custard Powder is not actually custard which has been dried into a powder. It's mostly a starch that has been coloured yellow, sweetened and flavoured so that when hot milk is added the starch will make not only thicken the liquid, as a starch is bound to do anyway, but to give it the right colour, taste, and aroma for a custard-like sauce.

There are several name brands of Custard Powder, and many stores sell their own brands as well. When you mention Custard Powder, though, it's probably very hard for someone not to picture the red, yellow and blue cardboard tins that say "Bird's" on them.

Bird's Custard Powder is based on corn starch. The starches that other Custard Powder brands use include tapioca or sago starch. A Bird's tin lists as its ingredients the following: cornstarch (aka cornflour in the UK), milk solids, glucose solids, vegetable fat, sugar, flavours, salt, potassium phosphate, emulsifier, free-flowing agent, colorants including Tartrazine, and acidifying agent. Some say the version of Bird's made in North America doesn't taste as good as the version made in Britain.

Whatever the brand of Custard Powder, though, the ingredients are very similar to a North American Vanilla Pudding Mix.

Bird's also makes now an Instant Custard Powder which doesn't require milk at all. You just add boiling water in a measuring cup or jug, stir, and serve. The Instant is mostly available in the UK, and quite rare still in North America.

Cooking Tips
You stir the Custard Powder into boiling milk, and add sugar. For thicker custards, use a full-fat milk, condensed milk, or a thinner milk with some instant powdered milk stirred in. The containers will give you exact proportions to use. If it turns out too thin on you, you can always add cornstarch (mix a teaspoon of cornstarch with a teaspoon of cold milk before adding).

Because Custard Powder has no eggs in it, there is no danger of it curdling on you as real custard can.

Substitutes
Vanilla Pudding Mix

Hi there!!

I went and googled custard powder and this is what I came up with
Yes, custard powder is cornstarch based, but I suppose you could use Vanilla Pudding mix.

Ladybug6509 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks for the recipes, I will definately try them out. Has anyone here heard of kuchen? I made some today and was curious if the filling used would be able to be used as a custard filling as well since that is essentially what it is.

Charmaine49 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 17

NO, have not heard of kuchen!

What is it?? is it a cake or a filling??

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 17

You know what I just noticed, most of the scratch recipes are similar to the custard recipe on the Nilla Wafer box that is used in the famous Nilla Wafer Banana Pudding. That could be a similar flavor if you were trying to guess the flavor before putting it together.

Ladybug6509 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #12 of 17

kuchen is a german bread or pastry, depending on how you look at it. It starts with a yeast bread and has a layer of fruit on top of the bread and then has the custard poured over the top and then baked. It is SO GOOD. I can give you the recipe to try if you PM me

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #13 of 17

Save! This thread is full of great recipes I must try icon_biggrin.gif

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #14 of 17

Now I need to make custard!!! Yummy icon_lol.gif

Ladybug6509 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 17

Since so many people have PMed me for the recipe, I am going to post it here.

Kuchen for the bread machine:

1 cup milk 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 cup butter
3 1/2 cup flour 1/4 cup sugar 2 tsp yeast

Filling:

1 1/2 cup cream 1 1/2 cup half and half
5 eggs 3/4 cup sugar 5 tsp flour

Warm the milk and butter in the microwave until butter is soft and milk is warm. Put milk, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan. Set on dough setting for 1 1/2 pound capacity. When done, divide dough in 3 and shape to fit three 9 inch cake pans. I use disposable. Mix filling ingredients and put in microwave or cook on stove top to thicken. Microwave in 2 minute increments, stiring each time. Once it starts to thicken, put filling on top of dough. Fruit may be placed directly on top of dough then filling. Sprinkle with cinnimon. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until set.

ReeseMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReeseMO Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 5:58am
post #16 of 17

Found this vintage custard filling recipe that you might be interested in trying. Scroll to bottom of the page and check it out: http://www.simplyoldschoolcooking.com/custard-desserts.html

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:37pm
post #17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmaine49 

So, here is my recipe:-

2 cups milk )
100ml Custard powder ) Microwave and let cool slightly

ADD: 5ml salt )
120g Butter )
1 cup sugar )
1 tsp vanilla Essence ) Mix and add to cooled custard.

I torte my 2 cakes and put filling between and then also put on top
of the cake, so I have 4 layers of cake with filling in.
As it stands it sets quite solid.

Hope this helps!!

Charmaine49, I realize this is an older post...so I hope you are still out there.  :)  Do you use white granulated sugar or powdered sugar (icing sugar; confectioner's sugar)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%