How Can I Make A Flexible Icing Similar To Sugar Veil

Decorating By Cookie4 Updated 21 Nov 2014 , 5:47pm by kimmie1959

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 5:15pm
post #31 of 44

AI like sugar veil but the mats are just ridiculous. I think they are pretty but it just isn't worth it. Would like a pen to get it super thin without the hand fatigue.

Old sid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Old sid Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 7:09pm
post #32 of 44

AHave used Lakelands magic icing.It is the same as Magic Icing made By Pavoni in Italy.Would recommend it.

Old sid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Old sid Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 7:12pm
post #33 of 44

ASorry I should have said Magic Decor in Italy by Pavoni.

nadizm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadizm Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:53pm
post #34 of 44

Shasha - did you try this out?

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 2:42am
post #35 of 44
I have been researching icing pens, because the Sugarveil one is so over priced!  It looks like my $30 airbrush without the needle.
Below are the only options I could come up with.  2 are manual, and 2 are battery operated.
I have #1, and have ordered #2, #3, & #4.  I will keep one, give one to my sister, and the other to a very good 'cakie' friend.  AFTER I have tried them, of course.
If anyone has already tried these, please give your feedback!!

The original icing pen, manual operation.  Mixed reviews here also.
Averages $10-$15 with shipping
and
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is manually operated.
All the reviews I read on this were good.
Averages $10-$15 with shipping.
and

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
$10-$20 on ebay
Easy Bake Decorating Sensation Frosting Pen.
For kids 8+, but looks & works like the other battery operated one.

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:52am
post #36 of 44

AIf you are asking opinions, I would try the one where you set a bag in it and it has the ez squeeze handle first. I am guessing the little syringe ones are total crap, and the battery one looks suspect. Like it would be totally inconsistent. I am very curious to get your results. I want a pen also, but there is no freaking way I am spending $220. That is more than my car payment.

blwilley Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 5:12am
post #37 of 44

Hello Annabakescakes,

You said: "I would try the one where you set a bag in it and it has the ez squeeze handle first."

And you are right.  This gave the best control, and you could swap tips more easily, and it produced the best results, with the least mess!.  It fit in the hand, as if you were holding a pen, felt normal.  And you could see what you were doing easily.  And better control the flow.

You said: "I am guessing the little syringe ones are total crap,"

NOT totally.  It did produce a nice thin line, BUT...If you squeeze on it WITHOUT holding the plunger down some, the plunger just gets forced back up and so you run out of icing, no pressure.  And if you apply pressure to the plunger as you write, it works, but is a little hard to control /stop the icing from coming out a little when you are done with a letter, and no longer want it to come out.  It does work, but not as well as the above option. And it doesn't hold much icing, and is not easy to fill, but then I probably was not doing it right. lol

You said: "and the battery one looks suspect. Like it would be totally inconsistent.

You hit that one on the nose!  I had high hopes for this one, but...  You can only use the tips that came with it, and the writing tip is just tooo big!  I like a finer line.  And it is messy to fill, the plate they provide for filling the pen from the bought icing container, really made a mess.  But the worst part was controlling the flow!  You have a fast and a slow speed.  The slow speed is fast enough.  You press all the way down to force the icing OUT.  Then you  back off the pressure HALF WAY to throw it into reverse, so the flow will stop!  If you let the pressure off the switch all the way WITHOUT this 'halfway' step, the flow continues and you have a mess.  I experimented with all the tips, was able to get them to work, but not how I would have liked...  I am a very unhappy camper with this one.

Maybe we can figure how to adapt a cheapo air brush to do the job??  Hope someone can figure this one out for us.  lol

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 5:50pm
post #38 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwilley  and Annabakescakes
"I would try the one where you set a bag in it and it has the ez squeeze handle first."

And you are right.  This gave the best control, and you could swap tips more easily, and it produced the best results, with the least mess!.  It fit in the hand, as if you were holding a pen, felt normal.  And you could see what you were doing easily.  And better control the flow.

Which number is that one from the list of four?

blwilley Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 10:55pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Which number is that one from the list of four?

Hi!  It is #2, the E-Z Deco icing pen.

I was trying to upload pics to show results from using all 3, but don't know where they went!  I said 3, because the last 2 battery operated ones are almost identical.

blwilley Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 11:41pm
post #40 of 44

Hi everyone!  Finally was able to upload the pictures, showing the results, of using each of these pens.

This pic shows how thick the icing comes out using the battery operated pen, #3 in the pictures.

The reg. piping tip has a hole that is just too large for any decent writing, IMO.

(JWinslow, I remembered that one! lol)

This pic shows the best results that I was able to obtain, using tip #3 with the E-Z Deco icing pen, pic #2.

You can use any tip you want with this one, and NOT the others.  I did some quick string work on the container.

And a 5 high over-piping, that fell over because I did not let it set up between pipjngs, & I was using DH frosting.

Then I did a 4 high one that stayed put, also with the DH frosting.  .

This was done using the little pen with the plunger, #1 in the pictures.

Main drawback in my opinion, is that it does not hold enough icing, and it is hard to fill.

Probably not doing it properly.   And, yes, I can write a little neater than that!  It was running out of icing-again!

And it only has the writing tip.

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 8:31am
post #41 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwilley 

Hello Annabakescakes,

You said: "I would try the one where you set a bag in it and it has the ez squeeze handle first."

You said: "I am guessing the little syringe ones are total crap,"

NOT totally.  It did produce a nice thin line, BUT...If you squeeze on it WITHOUT holding the plunger down some, the plunger just gets forced back up and so you run out of icing, no pressure.  And if you apply pressure to the plunger as you write, it works, but is a little hard to control /stop the icing from coming out a little when you are done with a letter, and no longer want it to come out.  It does work, but not as well as the above option. And it doesn't hold much icing, and is not easy to fill, but then I probably was not doing it right. lol

You said: "and the battery one looks suspect. Like it would be totally inconsistent.

You hit that one on the nose!  I had high hopes for this one, but...  You can only use the tips that came with it, and the writing tip is just tooo big!  I like a finer line.  And it is messy to fill, the plate they provide for filling the pen from the bought icing container, really made a mess.  But the worst part was controlling the flow!  You have a fast and a slow speed.  The slow speed is fast enough.  You press all the way down to force the icing OUT.  Then you  back off the pressure HALF WAY to throw it into reverse, so the flow will stop!  If you let the pressure off the switch all the way WITHOUT this 'halfway' step, the flow continues and you have a mess.  I experimented with all the tips, was able to get them to work, but not how I would have liked...  I am a very unhappy camper with this one.

Maybe we can figure how to adapt a cheapo air brush to do the job??  Hope someone can figure this one out for us.  lol

Whoo hoo! I will take 2 out of 3 any day. I still think I am mostly right on the other one, any way ;-)

I am sorry you are out the money, but I am glad you did the test. It is very helpful. I would love to mess around and see if I can com up with anything :-)

irenacarino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irenacarino Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 9:08am
post #42 of 44

Thanks for the recipe. i'll try this soon. But how much exactly is the gelatin and the water? because in my country we use the powdered gelatin, let it bloom in cold water before we melt it. It would be great if you could help me with this. Thanks a bunch!

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 7:27pm
post #43 of 44

Hi all,

Thought it might be helpful to post a few updates. Here are the newest mixing/oven-setting instructions for SugarVeil: https://www.facebook.com/notes/sugarveil-icing/oven-setting-sugarveil-instructions-for-use-with-sugarveil-confectioners-mats/589689461074977. Really fast and easy to do, and with oven temps of 170 degrees F / 77 degrees C, the Lace Mat sets in about 8.5 minutes. Users in humid areas especially like this oven-setting method, as well as dusting the mats first with cornstarch. Here are a few more tips: https://www.facebook.com/notes/sugarveil-icing/sugarveil-icing-in-humid-conditions/115755021801759.

Also, with Easter in mind, you might be interested in these instructions for making a cake nest containing a Faberge-style decorated sugar egg: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152365503424893.1073741870.58910664892&type=1. The 'settings' are made with the Brooches Mat [http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/sugarveil-mat.htm]:

Hope this is helpful, and Happy Easter!

kimmie1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmie1959 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 5:47pm
post #44 of 44

Hi Everyone,

I am using this sugarveil for the first time, I am looking to make my own, so it is important for me to study all the reviews on making your own, what I don't see here is that it is not mentioned to put it in the oven after applying it to the silicon mat, like you do with the sugarveil, anyone know why, is it not necessary?

thanks,

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%