Flavoring Buttercream?

Decorating By texaskitty Updated 27 Jul 2014 , 8:59pm by rosamg_86

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 30

I am just wondering if anyone has tried flavoring buttercream icing with flavored oils used to flavor hard candy. I have several flavors and was thinking about trying a very small amount in a batch of buttercream to see how it would turn out. I would like to know if anyone has tried this before.

Melissa

29 replies
mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 30

I have used Lorann flavored oils and they worked great in buttercream.

texaskitty Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 30

Thank you for the reply. Someone gave me 10 of these today so of course I started to think of all the yummy ways I could flavor my icing.

Melissa

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:27am
post #4 of 30

Melissa,

What flavors were you given? Just last week I bought Amaretto, Pineapple and Banana Creme. I wanted Marshmallow but they were out of that flavor. I am thinking I would also like to try the Butter Pecan. Let us know how your buttercream turns out.

darkchocolate

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:34am
post #5 of 30

Melissa and darkchocolate, I have cherry (yum), strawberry (yum) grape (??), and watermelon (??) flavors. I'll let you know how they taste when I try them. This could be a lot of fun - have frosting tasting parties (yummy).

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:22am
post #6 of 30

I just got some butter flavor myself, but haven't tried it. How many drops do you guys use in one recipe?

MissT Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:26am
post #7 of 30

I have been told to start with just a couple of drops to start since they are concentrated, but haven't tried it yet to say for sure.

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:27am
post #8 of 30

I know you can flavor fondant with candy oil so I don't see why not with buttercream.

Blessings!

texaskitty Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:28am
post #9 of 30

I received strawberry, grape, tutti-frutti, apple, lemonade, rootbeer, cherry, pina colada, and clove. Some of those I would never put in frosting. I can't even imagine clove flavored frosting (yuck). I am hoping to get some rasberry, pineapple and banana. I am also curious as to how many drops you would use per batch of icing.

MissT Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:25am
post #10 of 30

Yeah texaskitty - I have clove too but didn't bother to mention it. Definately yuck!! Is that your cat in the avatar? It is really pretty!!

Edited to say pretty instead of cute.

texaskitty Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:31am
post #11 of 30

Yes, that is my child Pudge icon_lol.gif . He is spoiled rotten, and hates strangers.

I just ordered cheesecake flavoring off of ebay. I think I will order some more flavors tomorrow once I get paid icon_wink.gif . I am sure my husband will like that icon_razz.gif . I only work a few days a week and my paycheck from last week is already gone because I spent it all on cake supplies, lol. He doesn't mind so much because he knows I am still learning and it makes me happy. When I help him with his work he pays me buy buying me cake stuff. That is how I got my big bottle of the madagascar vanilla.

Melissa

darkchocolate Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:40am
post #12 of 30

I was surprised to use as much flavoring as I did. I expected to only use 2-3 drops but I lost count. I probably added about 10 drops to a batch of icing (2# of powdered sugar). I am pretty sure I have read on this board some flavorings take more than others so I will proceed with caution (just a few drops at first) with the Amaretto and Pineapple.

darkchocolate

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 11:49am
post #13 of 30

darkchocolate - some of the LorAnn flavorings are really strong. I've noticed that the pina colada is the strongest so far of all the ones I've tried. That one really does only take a couple of drops. My icing recipe makes up 3 cups and it's very easy to put too much of that particular flavoring in it. As long as you use it drop by drop and then taste, you should be alright. I love using all the different flavorings. I think it's so cool that you can make your icing taste like any flavor you want.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 30

I also use Lorann oils. They have so many flavors such as vanilla butternut ( my fav), chocolate, chocolate hazelnut, almond, amaretto, orange, etc. I use them in both my icing and my batter. The vanilla butternut is a hit everytime!

butternut Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 30

I have been looking for vanilla butternut and can't find it anywhere in my area. I've never tried it but I bet it sounds so wonderful. Looks like I'll have to order it icon_mad.gif I just hate those shipping charges... AgentCakeBaker - what is your favorite cake to use this flavoring in?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskitty

I received strawberry, grape, tutti-frutti, apple, lemonade, rootbeer, cherry, pina colada, and clove. Some of those I would never put in frosting. I can't even imagine clove flavored frosting (yuck). I am hoping to get some rasberry, pineapple and banana. I am also curious as to how many drops you would use per batch of icing.

clove on spice cake!!!

or on apple!!!

or on pumpkin!!!

ooooo that could be good!

texaskitty Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 30

I saw the vanilla butternut on ebay.

Melissa

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 30

I have the Loran oil vanilla butternut flavor, but also found in my local grocery store that McCormick mades a vanilla nut flavoring that is also good tasting.

deb

butternut Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

I have the Loran oil vanilla butternut flavor, but also found in my local grocery store that McCormick mades a vanilla nut flavoring that is also good tasting.

deb

Oh, cool. I'll check out the grocery store then. If it's put out by McCormick, I shouldn't have a hard time finding it. Thanks so much!!

butternut Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:46pm
post #20 of 30

Melissa - I think I'll go on ebay and check it out . Maybe I can get a bunch of flavorings at one time and then the shipping wouldn't be but so bad. Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes, I completely forget about ebay.

darkchocolate Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:58pm
post #21 of 30

My Vanilla Butternut taste like coconut, is this normal? I gave some cake away and my neighbor told her husband this must be a coconut cake and he told her no it's a Vanilla something cake.

darkchocolate

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 30

What do you all use as flavor combinations? I've thought some of the flavorings sounded really good - but I didn't know what kind of cake to combine them with - like grape? Or watermelon? yeah those are good candy flavors.... but for buttercream?? Always wondered...... Do you all have any favorite combinations that are a bit "different" ?? icon_smile.gif

darkchocolate Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:16pm
post #23 of 30

I tend to associate the grape, watermelon, cherry and flavors like that with chidrens cakes. I think they would be fine with a basic white cake. Although cherry and chocolate go well together.

I used my banana creme on a banana cake (homemade) although my husband said he preferred my homemade banana frosting.

darkchocolate

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:13pm
post #24 of 30

I tend to match my flavoring to my filing. I've done lemon and rasberry and both were a huge hit.

MissT Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:22pm
post #25 of 30

Ooooh Doug - I never would have thought of those cakes with a mild flavored clove BC. Something I would have to test!
imartsy - that's why I put the ? in () after grape and watermelon because I wondered too- has anyone used these flavors? How were they??

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:18am
post #26 of 30

butternut

I use the vanilla butternut lorann oil in the bride's cake recipe from the cake mix doctor. It is sooo good. I've also tried it in my icing as well. Very yummy.

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:30am
post #27 of 30

I've used raspberry flavor in my buttercream and I found that it changed the consistency of the icing...so I haven't tried it again. Anyone else have this happen?

MissT Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:11am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

butternut

I use the vanilla butternut lorann oil in the bride's cake recipe from the cake mix doctor. It is sooo good. I've also tried it in my icing as well. Very yummy.

butternut - how much lorann oil did you use in the cake recipe?? I just made some cherry BC with the lorann oil and it is sooo good. I wanted to make a cherry cake to put it on. TIA!!

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 3:57am
post #29 of 30

I've also used the rasberry (wilton) and LOved the taste, but it greased up my icing so much it slid off the cake. icon_cry.gif

rosamg_86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamg_86 Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 8:59pm
post #30 of 30

I have used butter pecan, hazelnut, strawberry, cotton candy flavorings..all great! I recently ordered a  vanilla butternut flavoring and it is AMAZING! It smells fabulous too :) Te following link is where I bought my flavorings from..I truly do recommend using flavorings in buttercream..but do not add too much or they will have a bitter-off taste. http://www.thebakerskitchen.net for flavorings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%