Best Way To Make An Icecream Cake?

Decorating By LoriannaN Updated 26 Jul 2014 , 10:00pm by sdeldridge2

LoriannaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriannaN Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 18

Hey folks- I make the birthday cakes at work and this month they've decided that they want an ice cream cake. Now.. I've made them before when I worked in the bakery at Publix.. but there I had everything at my disposal. I'm workin outta my home now and I'm wondering what you guys do? What's the easiest and tastiest way to make ice cream cakes? Any suggestions are appreciated! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 18

bump! this is something i want to know too.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 18

The absolute easiest is to take ice cream sandwiches unwrap and stack side to side (about 6 ) for two to three rows high. Frost with cool whip, sprinkle with crushed oreos, nuts or candy DONE! You can also add crushed cookies, candy nuts between the layers.
Not gourmet by any means but quick and kids especially love it. Adults are usually impressed as you really can not tell that it is just stacked ice cream sandwiches icon_smile.gif

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 18

When I make ice cream cakes, I make them 13x9 usually. I use a 13x9 cake pan to bake a one layer cake, then after it's cooled, I stick it in the freezer. Then I put 1 gallon of softened ice cream in the same pan, smooth it out and into the freezer to firm up just a little bit. Then I take the cake and put it on top and press down a little. Then back into the freezer again. Then when it's firm, I put the pan in some warm water for about 10 seconds to loosen it a little and then I invert it onto a cookie sheet and then back into the freezer again. Then when it's firm again, I frost the outside with vanilla ice cream and then add bc decorations...I know it sounds like a lot of work going back and forth into the freezer, but it's not. My house is warm, so it always melts fast....

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 18

I have the recipe for Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cakes if you're interested. It's from Top Secret Recipes. Just let me know and I'll post it.

Leslie

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 18

For my DS Bday he wanted a brownie ice cream cake. I used a store brand brownie mix & added some hershey's dark choc syrup. ( i didn't measure just poured). Divided this up into 2 8" pans and baked until done. Then I softened some ice cream lined the cleaned pan with foil and put in the freezer until firm. Put one of the brownies on the plate,drizzled some syrup on top of the brownie, then ice cream, some more choc syrup & then the top brownie. Drizzled some more syrup on top. I then put this back in the freezer. I took it out about 10 minutes before we were ready to use and it was wonderful.

I had to make another one for Easter. I'm looking for a reason to make another one!

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 18

I have the bake and fill pan by Betty Crocker... and it's the easiest way to make an ice cream cake to me.. I made one for my Dad for his birthday last year.. Don't know where I could find a picture of it.. but if I do i'll post it.. Anyway, that seems to be the easiest way for me.. hope this helps!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 18

here is some stuff that was given to me:

Ice Cream Cake

This recipe is going to be easy ....really. You will have PLENTY of servings if you use a 9x13 (1/4 sheet pan). This will give you a nice proportion of cake vs. Ice cream. TO DO: Bake a cake in the sheet pan. Take it out, wrap it up & wash the pan.

Now, take the SAME PAN. Line it with several layers of plastic wrap OR a sheet of aluminum foil. LEAVE an overhang of wrap, so that you can use this overhang to help with the un-molding.

SOFTEN 1/2 gallon Ice Cream. DO NOT MELT IT. To speed up the softening, peel off the carton & cut the Ice Cream into thick slices.

Place the Ice Cream in a large mixing bowl. If you have a large standing mixer (like a Kitchen aid) beat the ice cream slowly with the paddle until spreadable (NOT melted) No mixer? Use a potato masher to start the mixing, then smooth it out with a wooden spoon. Spread the ice cream into the lined pan. Even the top. Cover with plastic.

Freeze FIRM. Now, split your cake layer in half, to make two layers, each one 9x13. Take the firm I cup out, remove plastic cover, place one layer of cake on top of the ice cream (cut side touching ice cream.) Put a cake board or a cookie sheet on top of the cake layer & FLIP the ice cream over onto the cookie sheet. Lay a warm kitchen towel on the pan, to help the ice cream slip out.

Remove plastic or foil. Lay other cake layer, cut side against the ice cream
You now have a CAKE- ICE CREAM -CAKE sandwich. Put back into the freezer to re-firm for a bit.

Ice Cream like Dairy Bell

Okay...I used a spring form pan, but you could use any kind, I'd think. Line the pan with plastic wrap, double thick.

Soften your favorite ice cream flavor and layer in the bottom half of the pan. Stick back in the freezer until hard.

Combine crushed Oreo cookies and hot fudge ice cream sauce (the thick kind) and spread on top of the ice cream. Stick in freezer till hard.

Soften another flavor (or the same, if you prefer) ice cream and spread over cookie/fudge layer. Freeze till hard. Un-mold cake and remove plastic wrap.

FROSTING: Mix equal parts softened vanilla ice cream and cool whip. Frost and decorate with it. You may need to stick the "frosting" back in the freezer occasionally if it gets to soft to work with.

***I think a regular frosting would work well too. But, I used the combo above when I did it.

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 18

Looks good.Considering an ice cream cake for a party I am doing in 2 weeks.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 18

i could bake a cake, whatever size u need...bake as usual, flip it out and let it cool...wash the pan and then line it with plastic wrap...put the cooled cake back in the pan and fill with ice cream...put it back in the freezer and after it's frozen dlip it over and peel off the plastic...

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 18

Alrighty, I posted the ice cream cake.. not one of my best attempts.. but you can tell the size of it anyway... it's Dad's bday cake...

llee815 Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:43am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leana

here is some stuff that was given to me:

Ice Cream like Dairy Bell

Okay...I used a spring form pan, but you could use any kind, I'd think. Line the pan with plastic wrap, double thick.

Soften your favorite ice cream flavor and layer in the bottom half of the pan. Stick back in the freezer until hard.

Combine crushed Oreo cookies and hot fudge ice cream sauce (the thick kind) and spread on top of the ice cream. Stick in freezer till hard.

Soften another flavor (or the same, if you prefer) ice cream and spread over cookie/fudge layer. Freeze till hard. Un-mold cake and remove plastic wrap.

FROSTING: Mix equal parts softened vanilla ice cream and cool whip. Frost and decorate with it. You may need to stick the "frosting" back in the freezer occasionally if it gets to soft to work with.

***I think a regular frosting would work well too. But, I used the combo above when I did it.

Does this taste similar to Dairy Queen cakes? I've always wanted a recipe for it. They're my favorite ice cream cake. Thanks for it.

debbie2881 Posted 5 May 2006 , 1:27am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

I have the recipe for Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cakes if you're interested. It's from Top Secret Recipes. Just let me know and I'll post it.

Leslie

can you please post the recipe, thank you. icon_smile.gif

llee815 Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:29am
post #14 of 18

This recipe is from Top Secret Recipes. Make sure that the cake is completely frozen before you start to decorate it because when I tried to, the cake would start melting on me after only about 5-10 minutes.

Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream Cake
I've discovered the most popular version is the one made from white cake with pralines and cream ice cream on top. So that's got to be the version we clone here. But don't think you're locked into this formula - you can use any flavor of cake and ice cream you fancy for your homemade masterpiece. Just be sure the ice cream you choose comes in a box. It should be rectangular shape so that the ice cream layer stacks up right. Then you'll want to find a real sharp serrated knife to cut the ice cream in half while it's in the box. And check this out: That white stuff that coats the cake is actually softened ice cream spread on a thin layer like frosting, and then re-frozen. After it sets up, you can decorate the cake any way you like with pre-made frosting in whatever color suits your festive occasion. Voilà! You've just made an ice cream cake at home that looks and tastes like those in the stores that costs around $35 each.

Cake
1 box white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 egg whites

1/2-gallon box pralines and cream ice cream
4 cups (2 pints) vanilla ice cream
1 12-ounce container white frosting

Optional
colored frosting

Make your cake following the directions on the box. If you are making the white cake you will likely blend the cake mix with water, oil, and 3 eggs. Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. This will make a thin cake for our bottom layer. When cake is done, let it cool to room temperature.

When the cake has cooled, carefully remove it from the pan and place it on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet, or a platter or tray that will fit into your freezer.

Use a sharp serrated knife (a bread knife works great) to slice the ice cream lengthwise through the middle, box and all, so that you have two 2-inch thick sheets of ice cream. Peel the cardboard off the ice cream and lay the halves next to each other on the cake. Slice the edges of the cake all the way around so that the cake is the same size as the ice cream on top. Work quickly so that the ice cream doesn't melt. When the cake has been trimmed, place it into the freezer for an hour or two.

When you are ready to frost the cake, take the two pints (4 cups) of vanilla ice cream out of the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes to soften. Stir the ice cream so that it is smooth, like frosting. Use a frosting knife or spatula to coat your cake with about 2 cups of ice cream. Cover the entire surface thoroughly so that you cannot see any of the cake or ice cream underneath. Pop the cake into the freezer for an hour or so to set up.

When the cake has set, fill a pastry bag (with a fancy tip) with white frosting to decorate all around the top edge of the cake. Also decorate around the bottom of the cake. Use colored frosting and different tips to add inspired artistic flair and writing on the cake, as needed. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and keep it in your freezer until party time.

When you are ready to serve the cake, leave it out for 10 minutes before slicing. Cut the cake with a sharp knife that has been held under hot water. Makes 1 large cake (16 - 20 servings).

Tidbit
You may wish to use another flavor cake mix such as chocolate or devil's food for this dessert - even low-fat cake mix works. It's up to you. Just follow the directions on the box for making the cake in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. You can also use any flavor of ice cream. Just be sure to get it in a box.

debbie2881 Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:39am
post #15 of 18

Thank you for posting. Would Breyers ice cream work?

llee815 Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 18

I think any brand of ice cream would work. Instead of cutting the box of ice cream like the recipe states, I did what the others have written and softened the ice cream and placed it in the same pan I used to bake the cakes lined with plastic wrap. I think it's much easier that way and there's no need to trim the cake much.

LoriannaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriannaN Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 18

Wow thanks guys! I kind of had an idea of what to do, but I guess I just needed some reassurance icon_smile.gif Lots of great ideas. I'll let ya know when I do it and how it turned out!

sdeldridge2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdeldridge2 Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 18

DID YOU EVER FIND A GOOD ICECREAM RECPE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%