This makes a one layer 9x13x2 cake but I suppose you could use a different pan if you like. Also, it calls for butter to coat the bottom but I still spray the bottom and sides with baker’s joy just in case.
Yummy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter to coat bottom of pan (I still spray the bottom and sides)
1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 20 0z. can sliced pineapple drained but reserve juice
- 1 6 oz. jar of maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 1 package yellow or butter recipe cake mix (I use the butter recipe)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Water to add to pineapple juice
- 1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in rectangular pan, 13x9x2, in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar; place a cherry in in the center of every pineapple slice and distribute the remaining cherries around the slices pressing gently into the brown sugar.
- 2) In a measuring cup, combine pineapple juice and enough water so that it measures a total of 1 and 1/4 cups. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water/pineapple juice mixture, oil, and eggs then beat with electric mixer for 30 seconds on low, then 2 minutes on medium. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- 3) Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately run knife around sides of cake to loosen. Turn pan upside down onto heat proof serving plate and leave for a minute so that topping can drizzle over cake. Cool for 30 minutes. To store, cover and refrigerate.