If you are looking for a very silky, light, not so sweet buttercream, then look no longer. This is DELICOUS! The amount of flavoring is quite a bit, but also quite essential. This will NOT taste like you are eating whipped butter. Go ahead, give it a try!
Very Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 2 and 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup egg whites
- 5 sticks butter (half salted)
- 1/4 cup pure vanilla
Optional flavorings, Omit all but 1 tsp vanilla and add either:
-4 oz melted chocolate – white, milk or dark
- -2 tb instant espresso disolved in 2 tb pure vanilla
- -1/2 cup of pureed fruit – raspberries (seeds removed), strawberries, mango, cherries etc.
- -1/2 cup lemon or lime curd
- - 2 to 4 tb flavored liqueur – amarettto, chambord, grand marnier (sp?) , amarula, godiva, kahlua (sp?) etc.
- -4 oz cream cheese (softened, whipped alone and FOLDED in)
- - a few drops of food grade essence oils such as lavender
- -2 tb or to taste, pure extracts: orange, lemon, almond, mint etc.
- Over a double boiler , whisk the sugar and egg whites for 3 to 5 minutes until the sugar has melted. you can use a candy thermometer to see that it has reached over 140 OR you can test by rubbing a little between your fingers for smoothness. if the mixture is still grainy, its not ready. when it is, transfer the mixture to a stand mixer and use a whisk attachment on high until the bowl is no longer warm to the touch. about 7 to 10 minutes. Then switch to the paddle attachment and on low (1) add the softened butter one tb at a time. beat on low until it becomes smooth and creamy. Once complete, you can add the vanilla slowly , or other flavorings and or gel color.
- This will be an ivory colored frosting because of the use of butter and pure vanilla extract.