Related Forum Threads
- Thanksgiving cupcakes idea Last post on 11/19/12 at 6:42am in Cupcakes!
- Anyone tried this flavor? Last post on 11/7/12 at 8:48am in Cake Decorating
- Freezing Buttercream Frosting Last post on 11/6/12 at 3:14pm in Cake Decorating
- Is there a fake frosting for piping pracice? Last post on 11/5/12 at 4:43pm in Cake Decorating
- Flavors "Mixing" Last post on 10/30/12 at 8:21pm in Cake Decorating
Edited on 11/15/10
- Spice Cake Extender with Cream Cheese icingEdited on 10/27/07
- Pumpkin Cake with Orange GlazeEdited on 8/15/04
- Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting
Alphabetical Article List
Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting
Posted by aztomcatJust made a 3-tiered wedding cake with the cake flavors: red velvet, chocolate and pumpkin spice. The bride of course chose cream cheese frosting but wanted a fondant look without fondant. Called for a nice crusting cream cheese icing. So after trial and error, here's what I came up with. She wanted a cream colored icing, so I did add a dab of brown coloring to the mixture.
Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 + 1/3 cup veg shortening 16 oz cream cheese softened at room temp (2 8oz blocks) 3 tsp clear vanilla extract 3 tsp clear butter extract 2 tsp clear almond extract or creme bouquet (or you can use 1 tsp of both - yum) 3 tbs meringue powder 1/3 tsp fine popcorn salt (or reg salt) 3 - 3.5 lbs powdered sugar 1/4c plain powdered creamer dissolved in 1/4 c very hot water (you may use flavored creamers, if you want to infuse a flavoring) You may not need to use all of the liquid.
- Cream shortening, softened cr. cheese and extracts, then mix in meringue powder and salt then add 3 tbs creamer mixture.
- Once everything is smooth, slowly add 3 lbs of your powdered sugar with your mixer set on a low setting. Mix on setting six or med-high for 6 minutes or so.
- If you need a thicker icing add more p. sugar. If you 'd like it thinner add more of your liquid. You probably know what consistency you are comfortable with.
- For crumb coating, take a few cups out and add more of the liquid to thin it out for your first coat. Let dry before applying your top layer of frosting.
- Once iced you can smooth the cake with a hot but dry spatula.(Dip in a very hot water and dry it before use). Let crust for about 20 minutes. I have been able to use the Melvira method with this icing utilizing both the roller and viva towels.
- You can see how this smoothed for me in my pictures it is the fall wedding cake with black ribbon and fall roses.
- This recipe will make a very white icing perfect for wedding cakes. If you want a more ivory cream cheese icing, substitute 1/2 cup butter for 1/2 cup shortening. Then the recipe will call for approx 3/4 c shortening, 1/2 c butter and 16oz of cream cheese.
- Spice Cake Extender with Cream Cheese icing
Currently, there are 1050 Active Users (36 Members and 1014 Guests)
- › Who owns this cake? 1 minute ago
- › Please help me with the alternitives to piping for writing 2 minutes ago
- › Stacking cakes 2 minutes ago
- › NJ Home Bakers Bill 3 minutes ago
- › Customer has postponed a birthday and cake is fully decorated! Help! 13 minutes ago
- › transporting a full sheet cake 14 minutes ago
- › chocolate ganache over a buttercream crumb coat? 24 minutes ago
- › Louboutin Shoe Box Cake 24 minutes ago
- › Friday Night Cake Club for 5/17/13 25 minutes ago
- › Sparkly/glittery buttercream? 29 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking
- › How To Make Royal Icing (that won't dry... by sugarkissed_net
- › Marzipan (This is the recipe that i'm... by Ella1950