Posted by flayvurdfunNot sure where my family got this, but it was a very popular cake for our families weddings (not mine but still) I used to ask my mother to make this for me every year for my birthday. It is great. I have had people ask me to make their birthday cake out of this, they absolutely love the frosting.
Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake
- For RV Cake 1/2 Cup solid Crisco 1 1/2 Cups sugar (granulated) 2 Eggs 2 oz Red Food Coloring (just until you get the color you want) 1 tsp Hershey unsweetened cocoa (baking cocoa powder) 2 1/2 cups of flour 1 tsp salt 1 tsp baking soda 1 cup buttermilk 1 tsp white vinegar (I know I know but yes) 1 tsp vanilla For Frosting 3/4 Cup solid crisco 3/4 cup butter (or margarine) 1/2 tsp vanilla 1 cup plus 2 tbsp warm milk 1 1/2 cup sugar (granulated)
- For Cake
- Mix crisco, sugar, eggs, coloring, and cocoa together.
- Sift (though I never had to) flour, salt, and baking soda together then add it to the cocoa mix.
- Fold in the Buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla
- Put in 2 9"pans and bake at 350 degrees for roughly 30 min. You can tell its done, its like any other cake.
- Let cake cool completely. Once cool completely cut each layer into two more layers so you have 4 layers.
- Let sit while you prepare frosting.
- To prepare frosting
- Beat crisco and butter together for 10 mins at high speed (i know, this is the part I hate, but its a must to get the frosting fluffy)
- then add vanilla and sugar and slowly add warm milk. Mix for just a small bit until frosting is fluffy.
- I made the frosting for cupcakes for my 7 year old Christmas party. They loved it, but the parents raved about the taste and texture.