Posted by tuffstuffWhile in search of a good strawberry cake recipe, I made one from CC called "Strawberry Cake from Scratch" first. While it tasted great and was moist, it was a little too crumbly. (I was planning on torting, filling, stacking, and fondanting it.) Plus, I didn't like the fact that it used artificial strawberry flavor (the Jello). I just wanted a recipe that used real strawberry only. So this was my experiment. I am a box mix girl so I started with that. It came out with a great texture and tasted great. My husband preferred it to the scratch one.
Strawberry Cake - from a mix, but with no fake strawberry flavor
- -1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines) -1 small box vanilla pudding -4 eggs -1/3 cup whole milk -2/ 3 cup oil -1 cup pureed frozen strawberries in syrup (thaw first, leave all juice in when you puree) -1 tsp vanilla -red food coloring, optional, to your degree of liking
- 1. Sift together the cake mix and pudding into mixer bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- 2. Stir together with paddle attachments until well combined.
- 3. At this point you can add your food color if you desire. Without it, it will be a brownish very slight pink, very natural looking (doesn't exactly say "strawberry"). I added some wilton no-taste red to mine.
- 4. I baked mine in a 300 degree oven. I never time mine, just wait until it's baked according to the toothpick test. (so sorry, can't really help you there!) fat free and calorie free! (haha, I wish!)