Edited on 5/5/04
- Fruitcake Without CitronEdited on 5/5/04
- FruitcakeEdited on 5/5/04
- Elegant Light Fruit Cake
Alphabetical Article List
Rich Dark Fruitcake
Posted by AnonymousThis is my mother's very old recipe, at least 60 years old. My mother baked this for my wedding, and it sure is delicious and also a great Christmas cake. This is a very long recipe, but well worth the trouble. If 2 cups of butter seems too much for you, substitute shortening for 1 cup of the butter. Other fruit juices can be substituted for grape juice. You can also use 1 cup of drained maraschino cherries in place of the candied cherries. Originally submitted to CakeRecipe.com.
Rich Dark Fruitcake
- 6 cups sultana raisins 3 cups currants 1 1/2 cups pitted dates 6 cups raisins 3 cups candied mixed citrus peel 1/2 pound candied cherries 2 cups almonds 2 cups butter 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 3 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons ground allspice 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon almond extract 2 cups white sugar 12 egg yolks 1/2 cup molasses 12 egg whites 1/2 cup grape juice 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1 Wash and dry the raisins and the currants. Wash, dry, pit, and chop the dates. Chop the raisins and the citrus peel. Slice the cherries. Blanch the almonds, and slice them lengthwise. Combine fruits and nuts in large bowl.
2 Grease and line 3 standard Christmas cake pans (these round pans are at least 3 inches deep and come in a set of three sizes- 5, 7, and 9 inch across) with 4 layers of heavy waxed paper, or 3 layers of brown paper. Grease again. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
3 Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices onto a piece of waxed paper. Remove 1 cup of this flour mixture, and combine with fruit and nuts. Mix until fruit is well coated.
4 Cream the butter until fluffy. Add extracts. Gradually add sugar, mixing until creamy. Beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored, and beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the molasses, and beat together well. Add half of the remaining flour mixture, and blend thoroughly.
5 Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into batter. Stir in lightly the remaining flour mixture alternately with combined fruit juice and coffee. Add floured fruit and nuts, blending in until fruit is well distributed.
6 Turn batter into prepared cake tins, filling each about 2/3 full and spreading batter evenly. Bake in center of oven. Bake small cake 2 1/2 hours, medium cake 3 1/2 hours, and large cake 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes, then turn out on wire rack to cool.
- Fruitcake Without Citron
- › What?! Hershey's beat Scharffen Berger?!! 1 minute ago
- › HOW CAN CAKE BE TOO "CAKEY"? 1 minute ago
- › Help! I need to start making scratch cakes that bake, feel, and... 6 minutes ago
- › things NOT to ask/say to a baker! 11 minutes ago
- › from scratch recipe. 12 minutes ago
- › HELP PLEASE ! MARVEL CAKE HELP 16 minutes ago
- › how long can you start a cake project 19 minutes ago
- › Tree trunk cake 27 minutes ago
- › Uneven baking 38 minutes ago
- › How to connect borders on a Wilton mould set 41 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking
- › How To Make Royal Icing (that won't dry... by sugarkissed_net
- › Marzipan (This is the recipe that i'm... by Ella1950