Posted by mjnjThis recipe was handed to me by the executive chef of Guittard Chocolate. He said he developed it kind of by accident while working as the pastry chef at The Four Seasons in Los Angeles and that it became the favorite of many celebrities there. It is really moist and dark. Because it calls for baking soda, you do have to use the dutch processed cocoa and the rest time is what helps it bake up really nice and level. Everyone should try this cake!
Q's Favorite Chocolate Cake
- 2 c all purpose flour 2 c sugar 1 ts salt 1 1/4 ts baking soda 1 c water 1/2 c dutch processed cocoa 1 c buttermilk 3/4 c oil 2 large whole eggs 2 ts vanilla
- Boil water, turn off and add cocoa powder. Stir until combined. Allow to cool.
- Mix dry ingredients in a mixer with whip until well incorporated.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients while mixing. Scrape well and mix on low speed 2 minutes.
- Add cocoa mixture and mix 1 more minute.
- Let batter rest 1 hour.
- Bake at 325* in 2 8" pans. (Greased and lined.) About 45 minutes.