Posted by harcThis produces the texture I am looking for. Creamy and just set. I serve with warm caramel sauce
- For the crust: This is what I use, but you can use your own favorite crust 18 2" gingersnaps (ground) 3/4 c toasted pecans(ground) 1 tbs sugar pinch or 2 of salt 1/4 c melted butter 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional) I use more cuz I like it. I put this in my crust rather than in the filling Filling: 1 cup (250ml)pumpkin puree ((*not pumpkin pie filling)If using fresh pumpkins be sure to bake before pureeing. I jus use canned. Fresh is too much work 1 cup sugar 2 cups whipping cream chilled (not whipped) 2 250gram pkgs cream cheese room temperature 2 large eggs 2 large egg yolks
- Heat oven to 350***
- grease btm and sides of 9" springform
- For crust: combine all ingredients
- Press with fingers or back of spoon onto btm and about
- 2/3 up the side of pan. refrigerate
- Filling:optional(this step improves flavour of pumpkin and dissolves the sugar)place pumpkin and sugar in heavy saucepan and heat over med heat
- stirring constantly until mixture begins to sputter
- Reduce to low and continue stirring til it darkens and
- texture is that of applesauce. Pour into food processor (I just use a hand blender for this part)
- and process for about a minute. This just ensures it is silky smooth.
- *If using
- a food processor for the pumpkin puree you can pour the chilled cream in with motor running on low. Add softened cheese and beat
- til smooth(about 30 sec) Be sure to scrape sides to ensure no lumps. Add eggs and yolks
- and process about 6-7 secs until just mixed in.
- **I don't use a processor so I just put everything into my kitchenaid and mix in there constantly scraping the bowl because I hat lumps in my cheesecake. After I am satisfied there is no more lumps then I add the eggs and yolks all at once and just barely mix them in
- Important to do eggs last and only just until incorporated.
- Remove pan from fridge.Use double layer of foil and wrap outside bottom and sides of
- pan***This is done to stop water from getting into cheescake and crust. Be sure it is
- well sealed.
- Now pour mixture into prepared pan. Place foil wrapped pan inside a larger shallow
- pan and surround with 1" of VERY hot water
- Bake for 45 minutes on centre rack.( DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR ) After 45 minutes shut off oven
- once again (DO NOT OPEN DOOR ) Leave cheesecake in turned off oven for 1 hour. Now open
- door and lift pan out of foil and place on rack for 1 hour.The center will still be jiggly
- Don't Worry. DO NOT REMOVE SIDE OF PAN
- Refrigerate at least 8 hrs
- The most important things to ensure success
- 1: oven temp 350--I use an oven thermometer(have to set mine to 335 to ensure 350)
- 2: very hot water
- 3: **Do not open oven door** I know it's tempting but don't to ensure success
- 4: cooking and cooling times
- 5: Size of pan
- I have made hundreds of cheesecakes and used countless methods but this method is the best yet. Ends up just set and really creamy. I now cook all my cheesecakes the same way. My boss tried it but it turned out too creamy and not quite set. She didn't use an oven thermometer.