Posted by Cakegirl20I have been wanting to try some cake balls for awhile and decided to use some leftover cake to make these. I used a peanut butter frosting recipe and thinned it down for the filling. It's reeeaaaaalllly Good!
Peanut Butter Cake Balls
- Cake pieces - I had one 8" cake and some chocolate and yellow cake pieces that were leftover from doing a cake. Frosting: 2 Tbsp. soft butter or margarine 1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (I used creamy) 3 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar) 1 tsp. vanilla extract Approx. 1/4-1/3 cup milk or light cream (used milk) 1-1/2 bags (10 oz. bags) Swirled milk chocolate and peanut butter morsels (Nestle Toll House) Walnuts, finely chopped - optional (toasted would probably be best, mine were raw and they were a little hard to "sprinkle") (I put mine in the food processor)
- Put cake pieces in the food processor (works really well and it was fast!) or break them up with a fork.
- Make the frosting adding more milk and a little more peanut butter until it is the consistency and taste that you want (should be really thin).
- Pour about 2/3 cup of frosting into a large bowl with the cake crumbs. I used rubber gloves and mixed it together with my hands and it worked really well. [no peanut butter sticking to my hands! =:) ] If you don't have rubber gloves you can use a spoon or fork or something to mix it together or use your hands anyway.
- When it is the consistency that you want, taste a little piece to make sure that it has enough of the peanut butter tatse to it. Yum! You can add other things to this such as nuts or mini chocolate chips if you want. Form into 1" balls and place on a large tray covered with waxed paper.
- In a double boiler (or a metal bowl placed over a saucepan with about an inch of water in it) melt the chocolate/peanut butter chips and about 1-2 tsp of vegetable shortening over low heat, stirring continually, until all the chips are melted. Remove from heat to your work area and place on a pot holder.
- Dip the cake balls into the chocolate, roll around using a fork. Lift the ball out of the chocolate and give it a little shake against the side of the saucepan and scrape off any extra from the bottom. With a toothpick, carefully push the ball off onto the tray.
- When you get a few done, sprinkle with nuts or roll in the nuts. You need to do this after they cool just enough to pick up or until set a little bit or else the nuts will not stick. I had extra frosting when I was all done. I put it in the fridge and later it tasted like peanut butter fudge! Yum!
- I hope you all enjoy this! Unknown - But definitely not healthy =:)