Posted by AnonymousThere was a time when only professional bakeries could afford the technology to create edible images. Now even cake decorating hobbyists can print edible images at home using their own computer and their own printer with the only expense being the edible ink and paper. In this introduction to edible imaging, youll learn how to create your own edible images including how to set up, use and maintain your own edible imaging system. Lisas Tips: Creative Uses for Edible Images Edible images arent just for photo cakes. Youll find new and creative uses for edible images with every cake you make. Here are some creative ways edible images can be used:
- Print an outline or coloring book page onto frosting sheets and apply it to a frosted cake. Fill in the design with buttercream. The frosting sheet will dissolve and only you will know you used an outline.
- Frosting sheets make cut-out cakes quick and easy. Print your edible image to the shape and size you want your cake. Cut out the edible image and then remove it from the plastic backing. Carefully place the edible image in a zip-loc bag until ready to use. Using the plastic backing as a template, attach it to a sheet cake using toothpicks. Cut around the template with a sharp, serrated knife. Frost your cake or cover it with fondant Apply the edible image to the top.
- Like making 3D cakes? You can make buildings and houses, baby blocks and present cakes or even a dart board without ever having to pick up a piping bag just by covering the tops and sides of a cake with edible images.
- Use frosting sheets to make activity cakes. Activity cakes are cakes that are topped with an edible image of an activity worksheet such as a maze, dot-to-dot or color by number. Children enjoy finishing these fun cakes with tubes of colored frosting.
- Experiment with your edible images. Try using them with gelatin, pies, cheesecakes, cookies, gingerbread houses or hard candy.
- Refill your edible ink cartridges.
- Always print test and practice pages on regular paper.
- Purchase your printer first and then your supplies rather than purchasing them together as a kit or package.
- Use Googles Froogle search to find in-stock printers at the best prices.
- Shop online auction sites like eBay for your new printer.
- Find free printable, frames, fonts and image editing software on the web.
- Airbrush cleaning fluid is not only good for removing clogs from your print head, its also a good cleanser should you get edible inks on your hands or counter tops.
- Having trouble aligning your shaped frosting sheets? Use 7.5"x10" ones instead and cut the shapes out. The leftover pieces can be used to color, stamp, paint or airbrush on using edible inks.
- Refill bottles leaking? Wrap the threads of the bottle with plumbers tape.
- Ruined a printed frosting sheet? Dont throw it out. If possible, save it for a mosaic or to cut colored pieces out of for future use.
- What is edible imaging?
- What supplies are needed to print edible images?
- Why are Canon printers recommended for edible imaging?
- Which Canon printers can be used to print edible images?
- Which Canon printer system should I choose?
- I already own a compatible Canon printer. Can I use it for edible imaging?
- Can a refurbished Canon printer be used for edible imaging?
- Will using edible inks in my Canon printer void my warranty?
What is edible imaging? Edible imaging is the process of printing edible images and photos onto a type of edible paper using ink cartridges filled with food coloring and a compatible inkjet printer. What supplies are needed to print edible images? To print edible images you will need: A compatible Canon Bubble Jet Printer Edible ink cartridges Frosting sheets or wafer paper It is also recommended that you have these items on hand: Cleaning cartridges Edible ink refill kit Airbrush cleaning fluid Why are Canon printers recommended for edible imaging? Canon printers have a print head that can be easily serviced or replaced. Inkjet printers as a whole are susceptible to print head clogs, an issue that can be compounded by the use of edible inks. Should the print head in your Canon printer become seriously clogged or damaged, it can be easily removed and serviced or replaced. Which Canon printers can be used to print edible images?* The following printers are compatible with edible ink cartridges and can be used to print edible images. Beneath each heading youll also find the printer settings you should use when printing edible images as well as the style of edible ink cartridges for the listed printers. 2 Cartridge Systems Printer Settings Media/Paper Type: Plain Print Quality: High Edible Inks: KJKCSET
|Pixma iP1500 i470||MultiPass MP360 BJC-4000|
|Pixma iP2000 i470D||MultiPass MP370 BJC-4100|
|Pixma MP130 i475D||MultiPass MP390 BJC-4200 MultiPass F20|
|i250 S200||BJC-4300 BJC-4400|
|i320 S300||BJC-2000 BJC-4550|
|i350 S330||BJC-2010 BJC-4650|
|i450 S330D||BJC-2100 BJC-5000|
|Pixma iP3000 S500 S520||MultiPass MP700 BJC-3000|
|i550 S530D BJC-6100 i560 S600||MultiPass MP730 BJC-6000|
|i850 S630||MultiPass F30 BJC-6200|
|MultiPass F60 BJC-6000 S400 S6300||MultiPass F50 BJC-3000 S630N|
|MultiPass F80 BJC-6100 S450 S750||BJC-6200 S4500 BJC-6500|
|Pixma iP4000||Pixma iP5000 i860|
|Pixma MP130 MultiPass MP700||Pixma iP5000 i860|
|MultiPass MP730 MultiPass MP360||MultiPass MP370|
|MultiPass F30 MultiPass MP390||MultiPass F50 MultiPass F20|
|MultiPass F60||MultiPass F80|