Related Forum Threads
- What kind of chocolate (semisweet, etc) to be used in baking? Last post on 3/11/13 at 8:27am in Recipes
Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes
Edited on 10/24/12
- Basic chocolate CakeEdited on 10/24/12
- Paleo Chocolate CakeEdited on 7/25/12
- Chocolate strawberry cake
- topicChocolate Cakes
Alphabetical Article List
Opera Cake - My version
Posted by mmichelewThe original recipe is from "Spago Desserts" and literally toook all day to make. A Chocolate Chiffon cake soaked in coffee soaking liquid with alternating layers of Chocolate Charlotte and Coffee buttercream and then covered in ganache, wrapped with a chocolate band, and adorned with chocolate curls. Delicious, mind you, but too time consuming. So this is my version.
Opera Cake - My version
- Cake: 1 box DH dark choc fudge cake mix 1 box choc pudding 3 eggs 1 c milk 1/2 c water 1/2 c oil Coffee Soaking Liquid: corn syrup vanilla strong coffee Filling: Coffee Buttercream or Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Frosting: Coffee Buttercream or Choc-Coffee Buttercream Ganache
- Ingredients are mixed together, poured into prepared pans, and baked at 325 until done (for me and my convection oven, takes about 35-40 minutes).
- I torte the layers and moisten all layers with the soaking liquid (sorry, no real amounts here, I just do it to taste).
- I typically then fill the layers with either coffee buttercream (I use an all butter recipe and replace the liquid with strong, room temp coffee - day old works perfectly) or with a choc-coffee buttercream (for mine, again, I use an all butter, then melt real semi-sweet choc chips with coffee, and replace the liquid with coffee).
- Whereas the original recipe just called for ganache on the outside of the cake, I frost the cake with a thick layer of coffee or choc-coffee buttercream (this time, though, made w/ butter/crisco mix).
- Smooth and chill.
- For the ganache, I melt real semi-sweet choc chips (for an 8" cake, I'll use a 12 oz bag) combined with strong coffee (just enough to make it pourable).
- Basic chocolate Cake
Currently, there are 559 Active Users (10 Members and 549 Guests)
- › Figurine request 2 minutes ago
- › Happy World Bake Day 8 minutes ago
- › Favorite CupCake 20 minutes ago
- › how do I speed up my royal icings drying time? 28 minutes ago
- › Customer with a crazy request! 38 minutes ago
- › Strawberry Cake 51 minutes ago
- › Black Icing 55 minutes ago
- › Cake stacking -Ron Ben Israel technique 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Boxing cakes for delivery 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › What?! Hershey's beat Scharffen Berger?!! 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking
- › How To Make Royal Icing (that won't dry... by sugarkissed_net
- › Marzipan (This is the recipe that i'm... by Ella1950