Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/Filling
Edited on 11/15/10
- MarzipanEdited on 4/26/04
- Coconut Pecan Frosting IIEdited on 4/26/04
Alphabetical Article List
Old Fashioned Red Devil's Food Cake
Posted by AnonymousChocolate cake with pecan filling and seafoam frosting. My Aunt always made this cake and it is very moist and rich.
Old Fashioned Red Devil's Food Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup shortening 2 eggs 1/2 cup sour milk 1 cup boiling water 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups white sugar 1/3 cup white sugar 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons butter 2/3 cup milk 3 egg yolks 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup chopped pecans 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 3/4 cup white sugar 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar 1/3 cup hot water 3 egg whites 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 9 inch pans. Sift together 2 cups flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
2 In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture alternately with sour milk. Add 1 cup boiling water and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
3 Divide batter into two 9 inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow layers to cool, then spread Pecan Filling between layers.
4 To make Pecan Filling: In a sauce pan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, butter, milk and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from heat, add 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in pecans and set aside to cool. Spread between layers of cake, then frost with Satin Seafoam Icing.
5 To make Satin Seafoam Icing: In a sauce pan, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, cream of tartar and 1/3 cup hot water. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook until 246 degrees F (120 degrees C). Remove from heat. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. While beating with an electric mixer at medium speed, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites. Turn mixer to high speed, and continue beating until stiff peaks form, and frosting is thick enough to spread. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- › fondant figure.? 5 minutes ago
- › Do you give out your cake recipes? 8 minutes ago
- › Marshmallow fondant... For sculpting? 10 minutes ago
- › How long did you need to find a good business name? 20 minutes ago
- › Chevron/Zig Zag Fondant Cutter 20 minutes ago
- › Success With New Size Cake Mixes WASC 27 minutes ago
- › I made cream puffs.... 29 minutes ago
- › 2" or 3" Deep Pans for Wedding Cakes? 41 minutes ago
- › Tree trunk cake... 44 minutes ago
- › How do I fill a 3D Train Cake? 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Patriotic eagle cake by Montrealconfections
- › HOW TO MAKE A CROWN USING A WILTON BAROQUE MOLD by al-tomczak
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking