Posted by melkneecThis is my Grandmother's recipe that has been in the family for a long time. Not a good recipe to make houses from but very yummy! I could eat all the cakes myself. lol. Hope you like it. If you have any questions just ask. I'm happy to help.
- GINGERBREAD: 10 cups self-rising flour, sifted 3 tsp of ginger 1 tsp of allspice 4 cups of granulated sugar 1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed 1 cup of Wesson oil 1 ½ cups of buttermilk 1 cup of molasses 5 large eggs, whole GLAZE: 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp allspice, 1 ½ cups brown sugar, ½ cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, ginger, allspice, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Pour in Wesson oil, buttermilk and molasses. Add eggs. Blend well with a large spoon or with hands. Batter should be very thick. Pour 1/3 of batter at a time (so it will be easy to work with) onto a well-floured surface. Knead slightly. Donâ??t over knead. Pinch off small amounts of batter as if making biscuits. Roll slightly in flour. Place onto a large prebuttered cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 325* to 375* (depending on temperature of oven). Bake about 11-15 minutes depending on size of cakes. Makes approximately 60-75 small cakes.
- *Tip* I use a cupcake pan with out the papers to bake these so I get them all the same size. I bake the cupcake pans about 11-12 mins.
- Blend all ingredients. Cook over medium heat to make a light to medium syrup. Brush on top of cooled gingerbread cakes.
- *Tip* Some times I double the glaze to make it easier to put on. IDK. lol