Posted by autobuniThis is such a great Vanilla cake. The extract can be changed for different flavors. I use it for almost all of my vanilla cakes. I am not a fan of the "butter" cakes, they never turn out for me. So I made this one!
MOISTEST Vanilla Cake EVER!!!
- 2C sugar 1/2C butter 2 egg yolks 2C All purpose flour 1t. baking soda 1C. buttermilk 3t. vanilla extract 1/2c-3/4c chopped nuts 6 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Prepare (2) 9" pans. Line with paper and cake release or crisco. You can also use Pam. (But line the bottoms of pans at least)
- Combine sugar and butter. Add egg yolks one at a time.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour and b. soda. Measure out buttermilk. Beginning and ending with flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, add to mixture. Add vanilla extract and combine. Add nuts at this time if using. Transfer to a diiferent bowl.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. If you are using the same mixing bowl as before, make sure its COMPLETLY clean and DRY! The moisture will not work with egg whites.
- Fold into batter.
- Bake for 23 minutes or until bounces back. DO NOT OVER BAKE! If you are doubling the recipe, it fits PERFECT in a 1/2 sheet cake pan. I usually increase the baking time to 40 minutes or so and then decrease the temperature to 335*