Posted by jjandascogRecipes for people with allergies to milk and eggs. If you use the icing recipe with Crisco, please be sure to make certain the person is not allergic to butter flavoring.
Milk-free, Egg-free Cake & Frosting
- Milk-free, Egg-free Cake Recipe 3 cups cake flour 1 3/4 cups sugar 1 1/4 cups water 1/2 c shortening (non-butter flavored) 3 Tbs water, 3 Tbs oil, 2 tsp baking powder ? whisk together before adding to mix (this is the egg substitute) 2 1/2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 1 1/2 tsp vanilla Vanilla Silk Frosting 3 c confectioners sugar 1/2 cup soy margarine (available at health food stores) 3 Tbs water 1 tsp vanilla Cocoa Frosting 1/2 c soy margarine 1/2 c Hershey?s unsweetened Cocoa powder 2 2/3 c unsifted confectioners sugar 1/4 c water 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 cake pans. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until well mixed, approx. 4 mins. Pour batter into pans. Bake for 40-45 mins, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 mins before removing to wire racks. Cool completely on racks.
- For both frosting recipes, beat soy margarine on medium speed in large mixer bowl until softened, about 1 min. Add remaining ingredients. Beat on low speed until ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Buttercream with butter flavoring ? milk-free EXCEPT for butter flavoring
- 1 cup vegetable shortening ? Crisco butter-flavored
- Or ? if butter flavoring isn?t acceptable
- ½ c plain Crisco plus ½ c soy margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb sifted confectioners sugar
- 2 tbs soy milk
- (If making this recipe for a party and not just my daughter, I use 1 tbs soy milk ? Silk brand ? and enough Karo to make it spreadable.