The easiest way ever to cut a circle for the bottom of your cake tin!
Edited on 7/17/12
- How To Get Perfectly Smooth Buttercream IcingEdited on 3/7/12
- How to Carve A Spiral CakeEdited on 9/27/09
- Cake Baking - Flower Nail Method Tutorial
Alphabetical Article List
How to Make a Contemporary Basketweave (Martha's New Basketweave)
Posted by KittisKakes
This is a method of creating a unique effect in buttercream icing.
Alrighty boys and girls! I gave it a try. Now remember, this was my first try, so ya'll be nice!!I actually iced the cake yesterday and didn't get to it until today. So, the icing had crusted over real well and was not chilled. DH didn't know I was gonna practice on it, so there's a piece missing, just less space to work with. It wasn't as tall as I would have liked, but I think it was enough.
- Sharp knife (make sure the knife is not serrated)
- Cup of Hot water (to dip knife in)
- A cake iced in crusted buttercream (click here for recipe)
1. You need a cake with a generous layer of icing, smoothed.
Dip the knife in hot water, and wipe dry.
Holding the paring knife horizontally, press the flat of the knife, from the tip to a short distance up the blade, into the buttercream.
Remove the knife in a sweeping motion to create a triangle. The "sweeping" motion is important. If you try to just make an impression in the buttercream, the knife will pull the icing away from the cake.
2. Continue the pattern, creating a column that travels straight down the side of the cake.
To keep the column exactly vertical, use extra care and brace your elbow on the countertop.
3. Repeat the process, column by column, around the entire cake.
4. Add borders and any other decorations that you desire.
- How To Get Perfectly Smooth Buttercream Icing
- › What to charge for VW Bus? 30 minutes ago
- › Cake stacking -Ron Ben Israel technique 33 minutes ago
- › Black Icing 35 minutes ago
- › Wedding cakes 38 minutes ago
- › What?! Hershey's beat Scharffen Berger?!! 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Friday Night Cake Club for 5/17/13 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Sugar Beer Bottles 3 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › SOS: Cake broke into 3 pieces, due tomorrow morning! 3 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Receta para Flores de Pastillaje 3 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Looking for recipes for kids' birthday cake 3 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking
- › How To Make Royal Icing (that won't dry... by sugarkissed_net
- › Marzipan (This is the recipe that i'm... by Ella1950
- › How to make a zebra print cake - bonus... by Montrealconfections