Related Forum Threads
- 3D figures? Last post on 12/28/12 at 10:19am in Cake Decorating
- Overpriced Cake Or Not? Last post on 12/30/12 at 9:08pm in Cake Decorating
- Where do I buy online a 3D Bell mold for chocolate?? Last post on 11/3/12 at 9:20pm in Cake Decorating
- Carving 3D Cakes Last post on 11/20/12 at 2:24am in Cake Decorating
How To Make 3D Turkey Cookies
Edited on 11/13/11
- How To Make Pumpkin Pie CupCake ToppersEdited on 11/6/09
- How to make a Super Mario cake or any other standing figureEdited on 7/31/12
- How To Make a Chicque Easter Egg
Alphabetical Article List
How to Make a 3D Turkey Cake
Posted by MrsMissey
It is that time of year again and I am getting quite a few requests for the directions for my roasted turkey.
I baked the following:
1 x 9x13 cake
1 x half egg (the large one) cake
8 mini egg half cakes
- I started out by putting the 9 x 13 on a regular turkey serving plate for effect but you don't have to!
- Place your large egg shaped cake (round side up) and put on top of the 9 x 13 cake, with icing in between to hold in place. I didn't use any dowels or any support.
- Carve the 9 x 13 to match the shape of the large egg cake...save the scrap cake pieces. On the pointy end of the large egg cake, I sort of hollowed that end out to resemble the cavity of the turkey.
- On the opposite end a carved in a slight vertical indentation to resemble the other end! Attach two of the mini egg cakes together with icing to make an egg shape and repeat this with the remaining egg cakes; these will be the drumsticks/wings. Attach these to the body, with icing.
- You'll need to cut away one side of each of these mini eggs to get them nice and close. For the wings I attached ice cream cones with icing..you may need to break away pieces of the ice cream cone to get it to sit right.
- For the drumsticks I inserted the hollow plastic dowels on an angle. Once all is in place cover the cake with a thick crumb coat and add extra icing to build up where necessary and to get the desired shape. Let it crust over.
- Then with tan/brown icing go over the cake with a nice thick layer of icing. Let it crust over, pat with a textured paper towel to get that "skin" look. Airbrush the cake with brown coloring OR if you don't have an airbrush, just mix color with water and use a spray bottle. Let this dry really good before the next step or you will have a mess!
- In a spray bottle mix warm water, Karo syrup and brown coloring and spray the turkey cake lightly!!!!! This gives the wet look. I don't have a ratio of water, syrup and color. It just has to be thin enough to pass thru the spray bottle.
- Cut your cake scraps into squares and attach to the cavity with icing to resemlbe the stuffing/dressing. I made the paper frills out of regular paper and slid those on the ends of the drumsticks.
- Add lettuce leaves around the base if you choose and that's it! I think that about covers it! Again, if you have any questions, just let me know! Enjoy!
- How To Make Pumpkin Pie CupCake Toppers
Currently, there are 775 Active Users (16 Members and 759 Guests)
- › Heavy cream left out 14 minutes ago
- › sugar paste losing its colour? 14 minutes ago
- › How long did you need to find a good business name? 19 minutes ago
- › helpp please 44 minutes ago
- › Can I do a cake recipe but use a smaller tin to what it says ? 51 minutes ago
- › Moldes 1 hour ago
- › How do I fill a 3D Train Cake? 1 hour ago
- › Using SPS for the first time and I am terrified! 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › onion domes. 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › What tool do you wish you had never bought? 2 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Patriotic eagle cake by Montrealconfections
- › HOW TO MAKE A CROWN USING A WILTON BAROQUE MOLD by al-tomczak
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking