Posted by NMyers01Guiness Cake recipe Guinness Cake Simple Solution Guinness is Ireland's famous dark beer--surprisingly low in alcohol and calories but rich in taste and possible health benefits (it may be called "stout" but moderate consumption won't make you that way!). The Irish give it to nursing mothers for its B vitamins and flavonoids; recent studies show a link between dark beer and the prevention of heart attacks. That said, the addition of Guinness--or a similar dark stout--to this lovely cake recipe gives it a special moistness and delicious Irish flavor. Dried fruits, key ingredients of Guinness Cake, are another health plus, since they are rich in antioxidants. All in all, this is a darling of a cake.
- INGREDIENTS 2/3 cup dark raisins or currants 3/4 cup dried cherries 1 1/3 cups golden raisins 1 bottle Guinness stout, or similar dark beer 1/2 cup butter 1 cup brown sugar 3 eggs, beaten 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice 1 pinch salt
- 1. Place dried fruit in a bowl and cover with Guinness. Allow to soak
- 2. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter
- and sugar together until smooth, then beat in the eggs one at a
- 3. Strain fruit, reserving the Guinness separately. Add flour,
- spices, salt, and drained fruit to butter and sugar mixture. Add
- enough fresh Guinness to the drained stout to measure 8 fluid ounces
- and add to batter, mixing thoroughly to combine.
- 4. Grease an 8-inch cake pan and add batter, smoothing top evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 2 hours, until the center is firm.
- Serves 8. It's got Guiness in it. That's all ya need to know.