German Chocolate Scratch Cake w/Icing
Edited on 2/22/12
- Ferrero-Rocher-cakeEdited on 6/10/11
- Simple Black Forest Cake with Whipped Cream FrostingEdited on 6/7/11
- Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/Filling
Alphabetical Article List
Great German Chocolate Cake and Icing
Posted by mommakeefA spectacular German Chocolate cake made from scratch, using cake flour
Great German Chocolate Cake and Icing
- 1/2 cup water 4 (1 ounce) squares German sweet chocolate 1 cup butter, softened 2 cups white sugar 4 egg yolks 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup buttermilk 2 1/2 cups cake flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 4 egg whites 1 cup white sugar 1 cup evaporated milk 1/2 cup butter 3 egg yolks, beaten 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut 1 cup chopped pecans 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon shortening 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 - 9 inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a small saucepan, heat water and 4 ounces chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks one at a time. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Pour into 3 - 9 inch pans Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto wire rack.
- To make the Filling: In a saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup butter, and 3 egg yolks. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool until thick enough to spread.
- Spread filling between layers and on top of cake. In a small saucepan, melt shortening and 1 ounce of chocolate. Stir until smooth and drizzle down the sides of the cake.
Currently, there are 1032 Active Users (21 Members and 1011 Guests)
- › Debbie browns Tom and jerry cake instructions needed! 24 seconds ago
- › HOW LONG DOES THE BUTTERCREAM ICING FROM SAMS STAY FRESH? 4 minutes ago
- › icings like little debbie snacks 5 minutes ago
- › Urgent! Bringing buttercream back to room temp 22 minutes ago
- › Want a nice no fail strawberry cake recipe? 31 minutes ago
- › Wet towel trick don't work for me 38 minutes ago
- › What are these strawberries dipped in!? HELP! 39 minutes ago
- › facebook 47 minutes ago
- › Price the Cupcakes! 49 minutes ago
- › White chocolate peanut butter cake 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › Patriotic eagle cake by Montrealconfections
- › HOW TO MAKE A CROWN USING A WILTON BAROQUE MOLD by al-tomczak
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat
- › Lightning McQueen Cars Cake Topper Tutorial by Leascooking