Edited on 6/7/11
- Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/FillingEdited on 11/15/10
- Easy Vanilla Sponge CakeEdited on 7/27/10
- Maraschino Cherry Cake
- topicSponge Cakes
Alphabetical Article List
Posted by AnonymousA rich and delicious chocolate cake with a delicate custard filling inside. You can dust the top with cocoa powder for a simple delight or Super Delicate Chocolate Buttercream Frosting for an elegant one.
- 1 2/3 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 tablespoon cornstarch 2/3 cup butter, softened 3/4 cup white sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 tablespoons dry milk powder 10 egg yolks 5 egg whites 2 tablespoons white sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup rum 3/4 cup white sugar 1/2 cup cornstarch 2 1/4 cups milk 4 egg yolks, beaten 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 2 tablespoons rum
1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch round cake pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the paper.
2 In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder and cornstarch. Set aside.
3 In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and milk powder. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the melted chocolate.
4 In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5 Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
6 When cake is cool, slice horizontally into 3 layers. Brush layers with 1/2 cup rum and let stand 60 minutes. Place the bottom layer of cake on serving dish and spread with 1/2 of the custard filling. Repeat layers and top with last layer of cake.
7 To make the Custard Filling: In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture back to remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons rum.
- Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/Filling
- › Pricing question 3 minutes ago
- › Pizza Oven 3 minutes ago
- › How many cupcakes can I sell? - REALISTICALLY 5 minutes ago
- › How much do people think a cake costs to make??? 5 minutes ago
- › How do I learn Smocking and piping? 11 minutes ago
- › Questions about Wilton serving chart 11 minutes ago
- › All about my new farmers market stand 11 minutes ago
- › Large Spirals 15 minutes ago
- › Wedding Cake Pan Size 25 minutes ago
- › Swiss Meringue Buttercream... 26 minutes ago
- › KitchenAid KV25GOXMC Professional 5 Plus 5-Quart Stand Mixer,... by MandiRose28
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Owl Cupcake Topper by FancyTopcake
- › Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by sugarkissed_net
- › Puppy cake topper- picture tutorial by melinart
- › 3D Elmo Cake!! by THECAKEBAR
- › Monkey Cake/Cupcake Topper by melinart
- › New type of Peony Tutorial by melinart
- › Super Hero Cake Pops by sugarkissed_net
- › How to make an Eiffel Tower by prettycupcake
- › Ruffled Fondant Flower by couturecakesbyrose
- › 10 Quick and Easy steps to making a perfectly... by RoyalAidan