Fathers Day Griller
Submitted By: Anne Richards
June 14, 2013
For Yellow Cake:
1 3/4 Cups Cake Flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 stick + 2 Tbsp butter
1 ½ cups white sugar
3 lg eggs + 2 yolks
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup sour cream
2 tsp Mexican vanilla
Decorations:Food colorings: red, orange, black
Candies: Black licorice, fruit slices & twix candy bar
Other items: kabob skewers
Boxed devils food cake mix
Heavy cardboard or sheet pan for base
Piping bags and flat tip (#45) and round tip(#4)
Cream Cheese frosting
(All ingredients need to be room temp.)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
Then add: 1 Tbsp milk
2 tsp Mexican vanilla
3 ½ cups powdered sugar.
For Yellow Cake:Take out all refrigerated items and bring to room temp. before beginning.
Combine all dry ingredients (except sugar) and sift 3 times through a fine strainer and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together until light colored, then add eggs slowly one at a time. Mix for 2 mins or until very light and fluffy. Put sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla together in a cup and mix together. This will be added to creamed mixture, alternating beginning with 1/3 of flour mixture then 1/3 liquid until all added. When all combined completely, pour into 9x13 sprayed and lined with parchment paper pan. And bake at 325 degree oven for approx. 30-40 mins. When cake springs back to touch it should be done.
For chocolate version substitute: ¼ cup of the sour cream for ½ cup strong brewed coffee and add ½ cup cocoa to ½ the butter melted /then cooled and stir into the creamed mixture.
For Choc Cake I used devils food cake mix and made it with (room temp) ingredients of 1 cup buttermilk, 3 eggs, 1 stick unsalted butter. Bake in 9x13 .
For Cream Cheese Frosting:When all combined scrape down the bowl and then whip for 1 a min. or two until light and fluffy.
To make the grill remove the 2 yellow cakes from freezer and stack them with frosting in the center. Score a rectangle in the center of the top 1 ½ inches from edges. Then dig out in sections and go down ½ to ¾ inches down nice and flat across to make the area for the coals. (Save the crumbs and try to keep some sections whole.) Frost the sides with red (I add a drop of black to darken it a bit) cream cheese frosting and up around the edge just to the cut out. Then do the whole inside with black frosting and cover up to and about ½ inch of the red all around the edge to make it look like a black insert. (You will need to use the flat tipped piping bag with black frosting and go smoothly around the top of the cut out) Cake goes back to the freezer. Take out the choc. Cake and crumble half of it in to a large bowl and mix ½ cup cream cheese frosting into the crumble and make your hot dog shapes and chicken shapes. Now for the burgers put a couple sprinkles of the yellow crumbs from the cut out into the burger mix to make it look like marbling. All the shapes go back in to the freezer. To make the coal mixture take some of the sections you saved and cut into squares about ½ inch in size and set aside. You will need to make ½ cup ash from powdered sugar and black food coloring. I whirled mine in my mini prep food processor. Or use gloves and hand mix together to a grey dust. Toss the squares into that and coat generously and set aside. To make the flame you need the round tip pastry bag filled with bright red frosting. Draw some squares of red on the bottom of the grill pan random all over then swirl together just a bit with the black its ok if it crumbs up from the bottom. Drop the powdered sugar squares all over the bottom to make the coal bed. Sprinkle more ash over if you want then with the pastry bag dollop red flames around the bottom they will hard to stick. Place a ring of black licorice around the base of grill pan for support of the other ‘licorice grate’. Run a bead of black frosting across the licorice you laid in the bottom and place another licorice on top. (Tip: to make the licorice more forgiving, microwave for no more than 8 to 10 sec.) Make a grid of kabab skewers on the bottom of the pan for the licorice grate to rest on, cut in half and stick three skewers in a row down and 13 across. Trim out the top of grill pan with licorice then run licorice across the skewers using the straightest pieces possible. Glue with frosting if necessary. Put in grill in fridge. Take out the food pieces from the freezer. The burgers just need to be scored with black frosting. The hot dogs need to be
coated with melted red frosting (10-15 seconds in Micro) and dip and roll around until coated place on parchment paper and into fridge until firm. For the chicken pieces frost with white frosting then roll in crumbs that you saved ( whirled in mini prep) and put into fridge. Take out grill and place burgers, hot dogs and chicken pieces on grate and score with black frosting for grill marks. For the seafood skewer I melted fruit pieces in micro for 20 sec. and rolled in my hands to shape and put on skewer and place on grate.
Currently, there are 1365 Active Users (18 Members and 1347 Guests)
- › Best tip and frosting recipe for piping practice 1 minute ago
- › Best tasting fondant? 3 minutes ago
- › things NOT to ask/say to a baker! 5 minutes ago
- › Candy Melts Monogram 10 minutes ago
- › How long does it take YOU to make a cake? 12 minutes ago
- › My Baking Channel :) 38 minutes ago
- › Servings 42 minutes ago
- › Auxilio!!!!! 47 minutes ago
- › Handy Many cake question 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Little Kids Cookie Frosting? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › KitchenAid KSM150PS Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer by melissamc
- › Wilton 409-623 Ultimate Tool Caddy 3-Level Cake-Decorating... by blwilley
- › Agbay Single Cake Leveler by SherylB
- › Breville BEM800XL Scraper Mixer Pro 5-Quart Die-Cast Stand Mixer by QuirkySylvia
- › Dinkydoodle Designs Airbrushing Kit by Debbie white
- › Wilton White-White Icing Color by glassfish
- › KitchenAid KM25G0XWH Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer, White by claire donnelly
- › Fondx Rolled Fondant Icing, Virgin White by bundlesofjoy
- › Norpro 3919 Mini Cheesecake Pan by dianadors
- › Kitchen Aid Professional 610 Stand Mixer by rowlandjames456
- › Apple Tea Cake by HappyCake10609
- › Sophia the First cookie cake topper by Montrealconfections
- › Gingerbread Haunted House For Halloween by Hanielas
- › Delicious Crusting SNOW WHITE Buttercream /... by BrooksieCakes
- › Fathers Day Griller by annebelle671
- › Mini Ghost Cakes for Halloween by Hanielas
- › Scary Spider Cookies for Halloween by Hanielas
- › Halloween cupcake topper by Sweet Janis
- › Best Ever Cupcake Icing - How to Video by MommyMommy
- › How to make chocolate pinecones by costumeczar