Posted by prterrellEasy and delicious!
Easy Coconut Cake
- Cake: 1 box Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker Yellow cake mix Oil, water, and eggs as called for on cake mix package 1 can Coconut Cream (preferred) or Coconut Milk Icing: 4-1/2 tsp Meringue Powder 1/4 cup refrigerator cold water 2 tbsp corn syrup 1 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup water Topping: 14 ounce bag of flaked coconut
- Make 1 box yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker) baked according to package directions and cool for 15 minutes. Pierce cake all over with a butter knife then slowly pour 1 can of Coconut Cream (use Coconut Milk if you can't find coconut cream) over the cake. Stir up the can of coconut cream really well first. Cool cake completely before icing.
- To make the icing, beat 4-1/2 teaspoons of Meringue powder with 1/4 cup of cold water in a metal bowl using the wisk attachments of a hand mixer - make sure the bowl and wisks are completely grease free - on high until stiff peaks form. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together 1 cup granulated sugar, 2 tbsp light corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil and then immediately remove from the heat. Stir briefly to make sure all of the sugar is dissolved. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Slowly add the syrup to the stiff meringue and beat on high, stopping the beaters for each small addition of syrup and beating for at least 30 seconds after each addition to completely incorporate the syrup into the meringue. After all of the syrup has been added continue to beat for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the icing is stiff and shiny.
- Spread the icing over the cake and top with shredded sweetened coconut. Or, mix the icing and the coconut together and then spread over the cake.
- Cake must be stored in the refrigerator. Keeps for up to 1 week. Cannot be frozen.