Blackberry Butter Cream Icing/Filling
Edited on 11/15/10
- Queen Elizabeth Cake IIEdited on 4/26/04
- Queen Elizabeth Cake IEdited on 4/26/04
- English Walnut Date Cake
Alphabetical Article List
Easter Simnel Cake
Posted by AnonymousA traditional Easter fruitcake decorated with marzipan balls that represent the 11 Apostles (Judas was excluded.) Bake in a deep pan.
Easter Simnel Cake
- 1 cup margarine, softened 1 cup light brown sugar 4 eggs 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour 1 1/3 cups golden raisins 1 cup currants 2/3 cup candied cherries - rinsed, dried and quartered 1/4 cup candied mixed fruit peel, chopped 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest 2 teaspoons mixed spice 1 pound almond paste 2 tablespoons apricot jam 1 egg, beaten
1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch springform pan. Line the bottom and sides of pan with greased parchment paper.
2 In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour. Stir in the golden raisins, currants, candied cherries, mixed fruit, lemon zest and mixed spice. Pour 1/2 of batter into prepared pan.
3 Divide almond paste into 3 equal portions. Roll out 1/3 of the almond paste to an 8 inch circle. Place the circle of almond paste on the cake batter in pan. Cover with remaining cake batter.
4 Bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours, or until evenly brown and firm to the touch. If the cake is browning too quickly, cover with foil after an hour of baking. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Set oven to broil.
5 When the cake has cooled, brush the top with warmed apricot jam. Roll out 1/3 of the almond paste into an 8 inch circle and place on top of cake. Divide the remaining 1/3 of almond paste into 11 pieces and roll into balls. These represent the 11 Apostles (excluding Judas.) Brush the almond paste on top of cake with beaten egg. Arrange the 11 balls around the outside edge on the top of cake. Brush the balls lightly with egg.
6 Place cake under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes, or until almond paste is golden brown.
- Queen Elizabeth Cake II
- › Friday Night Cake Club for 5/24/13 2 minutes ago
- › Pricing my cake... 7 minutes ago
- › URGENT!! Baking a three layer cake - How do you all do it? 13 minutes ago
- › Poll...use this or that... 13 minutes ago
- › PLEASE HELP! 21 minutes ago
- › READY TO GIVE UP AND RESORT TO BOX MIXES- HELP! 23 minutes ago
- › How do I brush face details on a cake pop? 41 minutes ago
- › Help! I feel just AWFUL! 52 minutes ago
- › Castle Cake Topper??? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › JASON, Helllppp! 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Wilton Flower Former Set by MsNeuropil
- › Wilton White Candy Melts, 12-Ounce by MsNeuropil
- › Cupcake Wrapper Creator by maritzausa
- › Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Silicone Mold, Kids Party by crazygrammie
- › Kitchen Aid Brand Professional 610 Stand Mixer by GaMa Marge
- › Wilton Diamonds Texture Press by lisamartin205
- › Oster Inspire 2529 6-Speed Hand Mixer with Storage Case by Buzzardbait1950
- › Wilton Towering Tiers Cake Stand by kovacstracey
- › Jonas Baker's Mate Collapsible Cooling Rack by Servelan
- › Wilton Decorate Smart Ultimate Trim-N-Turn Cake Caddy by Aunt Tillty
- › how to make free hand GARDEINA'S ! by galidink
- › Patriotic eagle cake by Montrealconfections
- › HOW TO MAKE A CROWN USING A WILTON BAROQUE MOLD by al-tomczak
- › Best White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sarahoza
- › Edible stamens for cupcake flowers by sweettooth101
- › Yoda Star Wars Cookies by sugarkissed_net
- › Easy Papaya Cutout Flowers by marya92
- › Stained Glass Effect Cake Tutorial by Tashastasytreats
- › Deb Miller's Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant by debm1
- › How to bake a Curly Cookie by mamakaat