About This Recipe:
This cake will always hit home for me. My grandmother has been making it for as long as I can remember, and I always love sharing the love to others - which is why I'm sharing the recipe here ;) You can read more about the recipe here: http://www.homeempress.com/2011/11/sweet-treats-that-remind-you-of-home.html but I'll include some information about the recipe below.
1/4 lb butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1 egg (not beaten)
2 level cups of flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
7 medium apples (stewed) - amount of sugar depends on sweetness of apples.
(Nana prefers Sturma apples)
• Soften butter with sugar and beat until well mixed.
• Add whole egg and beat again
• Add sieved flour and baking powder in stages until pastry formed. Use hands for final stages. Don't over mix.
• Divide pastry in half and roll out to size of dish. You will need to experiment with thickness as depends on size of dish.
• Heat oven to Medium (350F) and cook apples
• Line dish with baking paper and cook half of pastry until just done (about 10 mins)
• Place HOT stewed apple and slide other half of pastry on top
• Return to oven and cook about 30 mins or until done
I reckon you guys will enjoy this, as my entire family and group of friends absolutely love it! Buon Appetito!